Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Communications Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Civil Rights, Communications Law and Environmental for Indiana on
Q: How do I stop voice 2 skull
Charles Candiano
Charles Candiano
answered on May 24, 2022

This is NOT a legal question but a technical one. You need to identify the mechanism of transmission before any legal remedy is possible.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Contracts and Communications Law for Puerto Rico on
Q: My parents (dad 78 & mom 73) were tricked into signing a document which they did not know was a contract with Claro TV+

The sales person told them that since they are on social security the services with Claro TV+ in Puerto Rico was free for them. They also signed a document which tied them into a 24 month contract which they were not aware of. Moreover, they went without the TV service for 15 days after signing the... Read more »

Rafael  Pagan-Colon
Rafael Pagan-Colon
answered on Mar 31, 2022

Unfortunately, this is a common practice: a salesperson saying whatever he/she can to close a sale. Leonine contracts such as this also makes it extremely difficult for a persona to wiggle out of, under normal circumstances. Also, these types of contracts unilaterally increase monthly payments each... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Child Custody, Communications Law and Juvenile Law for Georgia on
Q: am i allowed to record my facetime conversations with my daughter? Mother is an attorney & doesnt consent

Im recording bc mother has accused me of being drunk and slurring words .. so i bought a breathalyzer .. record blowing bf and after i facetime with my daughter .... i have been recording our facetimes bc of accusations ... mother emailed me said she doesnt consent to the recordings citing private... Read more »

Zachary Taylor Beck
Zachary Taylor Beck
answered on Mar 31, 2022

No. See O.C.G.A. section 16-11-62. While Georgia is a one-party state, requiring the consent of only one party to a telephone conversation to record that conversation, Georgia requires the consent of all parties to record a video chat (i.e. FaceTime) in a "private place and out of public... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Communications Law for Ohio on
Q: How do I present evidence to the court that proves I'm innocent?

Telephone harassment

Patrick DiChiro
Patrick DiChiro
answered on Mar 27, 2022

This is not an easy question to answer. Presenting evidence to court is something that you learn in law school and through the practice of law. There are different types of evidence and different ways to present it. May I suggest, for a starting point, that you review the Ohio Rules of Evidence.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Communications Law for Michigan on
Q: We would like to possible pursue a case against a customer pursuant to Michigan’s eavesdropping statute

We are a small business in Colorado, who had a customer record our conversation without consent . We would like to possible pursue a case against this customer pursuant to Michigan’s eavesdropping statute prohibits recording in-person and telephone conversations without consent from all parties,... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
answered on Mar 5, 2022

If you're looking for criminal charges, contact the police. If you're looking for civil damages, they problem will be what damage you've sustained? Did they just record the conversation for their own purposes? Have they posted it on a blog or something and it's affected your business?

1 Answer | Asked in Communications Law and Land Use & Zoning for Ohio on
Q: Do I have the right to remove an advertising sign placed on my property, also on the public right-of-way (Ohio)?

I live in Defiance county, in a township outside of the city limits. A business placed a sign near the road, but still on my property, advertising their services in an attempt to get customers. I don't want my property used for advertising, but do I personally have a right to remove and... Read more »

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
answered on Mar 3, 2022

Contact the business and tell them to remove the sign. If they don't, use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local attorney to review the situation and contact them on your behalf, or advise you of your options.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Communications Law and Gov & Administrative Law for California on
Q: The 911 Dispatcher told the police I was diagnosed as Paranoid Schizophrenic. I have never been diagnosed with anything.

I have this recorded. I'm going to court on a 422 PC-F and a 136.19(A)(1)F also on the 911 recording. There are more issues at hand but i want to know about this one please!

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
answered on Feb 3, 2022

more info is needed

you should wait for the arraignment and ask the court to appoint a public defender for you.

s/he will have ALL the info to intelligently address this.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Communications Law for Colorado on
Q: Can more than one therapist be listed on the mandatory disclosure statement? I.e., all the therapists at one practice?
Kevin Michael Strait
Kevin Michael Strait
answered on Jan 26, 2022

A mental health practice in Colorado must comply with Colo. Rev. Stat. § 12-245-216 (some older forms will have the old code section as § 12-43-214, but that is no longer the current law). The code section requires a mental health care provider to give each patient a form detailing the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright and Communications Law for Ohio on
Q: My child was included in a broadcast on a news channel. Am I entitled to a copy of the broadcast?

Child is underage and I am the guardian/parent. Sent email requesting it and they claim they can't due to some copyright excuse. I've never heard of this from other requests I've made of other news outlets.

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
answered on Jan 12, 2022

Whether they must give you a copy would depend on the terms of the agreement you made with them when you gave them permission to make a video using your child. They own the copyright in the video recording, but can only use it and broadcast it within the terms of your permission and agreement to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Communications Law, Construction Law, Education Law and Energy, Oil and Gas for New York on
Q: can you help me sue my dead grandma

they dead

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jan 6, 2022

If this involves something with an estate or will, you might have better chances of a reply in the Probate or Estate Planning categories under New York. But in either case, it would be difficult for attorneys here to reach out to you to help with a lawsuit - this forum does not work like an... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Communications Law, Land Use & Zoning and Landlord - Tenant for Kentucky on
Q: I live in a apartment have rented this apartment for over a year. Today I was walking I took short cut and walked across

The neighboring apartment building the one directly beside mine. As I was doing so a couple of the people over there came out cussing me trying to fight me saying I was trespassing. I kept walking saying i was sorry I didn’t know and didn’t mean to upset anyone, while they continued to... Read more »

Leland Hulbert
Leland Hulbert
answered on Dec 2, 2021

Technically it could be considered criminal trespass in the third degree if there are clear signs that this is private property or that you are in a housing development or section 8. If you were not charged by the police you likely don’t have anything to worry about.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright and Communications Law for New Jersey on
Q: Is background music copyrighted if Video live feeding a parade to a YouTube channel?

I plan on Live feeding the Mummers Day Parade in Pennsylvania to my Youtube channel. The marching bands play music and there is other background music in the parade. Would those music sources be considered "fair use" for News Reporting of the event?

My channel is mostly outdoor... Read more »

Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer
answered on Dec 3, 2021

This is not a simple question and it may not be cost-effective to retain counsel. But you need to play it safe and make sure you have written consent to record. Fair use is a complex issue. Your channel is for profit, and unless you have the proper corporate entity for your YouTube channel, you... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law, Communications Law and Domestic Violence for California on
Q: What form do I need for an amendment that covers communications about my children and properties please?
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
answered on Nov 20, 2021

amendment to what?


holographic or written? notarized?

is this a family law question? i only handle criminal and PI...............

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Family Law, Communications Law and Probate for Oklahoma on
Q: Yes my husband's aunt died in New Mexico and her partner not married has will. Does he have the right to ask for a copy

He is the next living relative and had to send information and initials to funeral home because funeral home wouldn't let partner do it even with will stating so.

Anna L Self
Anna L Self
answered on Nov 15, 2021

In Oklahoma he would not be required to provide a copy of the will but since she died (I am assuming she lived there) in New Mexico you should post in the New Mexico group.

In Oklahoma, if your husband was an heir pursuant to the will he would be given written notice when the will was...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Agricultural Law, Business Formation, Business Law and Communications Law for Utah on
Q: Threaten me with a cop to my house

I used to asked for a ride for about a week to this lady about 56 she said yes I them needed another ride for two weeks I asked she said yes. I willingly start giving her money for gas so I won’t feel bad even though it is on the way. We started being friends and started going out after work... Read more »

Wesley Winsor
Wesley Winsor
answered on Oct 22, 2021


If anything, this would be a civil matter. A cop will not get involved in this capacity. If she feels her claim is strong enough, she will sue you. Until then just ignore it and or block her number if she continues to harass you.

I hope this helps.


1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Collections, Communications Law and Small Claims for Kentucky on
Q: Can a debt collector or original creditor still try to sue you if the loan was already cancelled as a part of a lawsuit?

I was contacted by a company on Monday 10/18/2021 called "Assurance Legal Proceedings" via phone stating that they are filing a claim against me in my county for attempt to defraud a loan company. They also said that they have contracted a location service to find me and serve me with... Read more »

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
answered on Oct 21, 2021

Yes. You are being scammed.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Collections and Communications Law for Illinois on
Q: Someone threw a big metal lock at my car and kicked my car and only had to pay a $200 fine and court cost no restitution

The avocet at the court house is new and she said she didn’t have my information only information filed was my old phone number and old last name. She sent me letters but no letter asking me to call her.The avocet wasn’t working there at the time i turned in my information and car estimate so... Read more »

Jane Kim
Jane Kim
answered on Oct 24, 2021

Your question is coming up under Illinois although it appears you live in MO. In any event, this will be true in either state, you can file a civil lawsuit to recover your damages, provided the statute of limitations has not run yet. Depending on the amount of damages, you may do so in small claims... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Family Law, Civil Rights and Communications Law for Virginia on
Q: Can my father's living siblings & children successfully fight for the right to properly bury my father who has no will.

My father is born and raised in Danville, VA. He remarried to make his oldest daughter a legal citizen which wasn't completed. His baby mother has refused to allow us to have his body for our funeral & burial. They expect our entire family to drive 8 hours to visit my father, plus they are... Read more »

Benjamin Inman
Benjamin Inman
answered on Sep 21, 2021

Im sorry that you lost your father. Losing a parent at any age can be extremely difficult.

I dont think there is enough information in your question to give you an answer. My best guess from reading between the lines here is that your father died outside of Virginia in a state where he was...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Communications Law for Arkansas on
Q: what do you need to become a lawyer?

what is all the steps to becoming a lawyer

W. Whitfield Hyman
W. Whitfield Hyman
answered on Sep 21, 2021

1. Graduate High School or earn a GED.

2. Earn a bachelor’s degree in anything from a college. Takes about 4 years.

3. Take the LSAT while in college (maybe they allow other tests now I’m not sure).

4. Complete law school (3 years).

5. Pass the bar exam in the...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.