Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Kansas Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Copyright for Kansas on
Q: Is 'pusheen' emoticon available for Fair use?
Michael Zamzow
Michael Zamzow answered on May 28, 2021

That emoticon, like most emoticons, is likely licensed to the users of apps that allow users to post that emoticon. It is probably not available for commercial use, but the license might extend to other uses, contact an intellectual property lawyer in Kansas City, MO to discuss the ins-and-outs.

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning for Kansas on
Q: GM passed 4/4, listing and contract on home signed 3/26 & 4/4 prior to her death. Bank is trust. Was house in trust?

My uncle and I were my grandmother's financial and medical DPOA's. We had to place her in nursing facility on 3.25.21 and her home was then listed for sale on 3.26.21 to pay expenses. My uncle signed the listing agreement on her behalf on that date and a contract was placed for the... Read more »

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on May 26, 2021

Your question is highly fact-specific, not a general question that can be answered with a general answer. You need a personal consultation with an attorney who can review all of the facts and give you personalized advice.

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning for Kansas on
Q: Mother passed. No will. Verbal wishes expressed to all four children that she desired all assets to be divided equally.

Assets are bank account approx. $175k which she named 2 dtrs as co-owners. 40 acres of farmland that also names these 2 dtrs on the title. All children are in agreement to divide evenly 4 ways. All agree to hold the land at the present time. It is currently being rented by a farmer. It yields... Read more »

Scott C. Stockwell
Scott C. Stockwell answered on May 2, 2021

Your fidelity to fulfilling your mother's wishes is admirable. She would be proud. There are some details that are undefined that could be important to the proper method of implementing your mother's wishes and you should seek the advice of an attorney and a tax advisor.

If your...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning for Kansas on
Q: Considering placing house in trust to prevent inheritance by spouse's family.

Married in 2013. Home in Kansas was purchased later that year for approx $125k, using funds exclusively from wife. This is the residence. Currently worth approx $150k.

Wife wishes that upon her death, husband is allowed to stay in the home until no longer needed, then it is to pass on to... Read more »

Scott C. Stockwell
Scott C. Stockwell answered on May 1, 2021

It would be possible for a husband and wife to transfer their residence to the wife as trustee under a revocable living trust established by her and naming her as the initial trustee. The trust could provide for the husband to have the right to live in the house during his lifetime. Mortgage and... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning for Kansas on
Q: Can the rural water do a easement to take part of your land to connect to are waterline.

They said if we do t take the offer they will condemn the property

Scott C. Stockwell
Scott C. Stockwell answered on Apr 21, 2021

Rural water districts, like most utilities, have the power of eminent domain. K.S.A. 82a-619 (a). With apologies for the length of the following url, the link below is to an article about use of eminent domain by rural water districts in Kansas. It was written by Gary Hanson, of Stumbo Hanson LLP.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Kansas on
Q: My mother died and left no will. Can I legally sell her belongings to pay expenses and how do I sell her car?
Scott C. Stockwell
Scott C. Stockwell answered on Apr 21, 2021

The options available to you depend upon the nature and amount of assets in the estate, whether a will exists, and the cooperation of all of the persons who are heirs at law or named in the will, if any. For small estates not involving real estate or intangible assets such as stocks, there is a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Kansas on
Q: My father is executor of my grandmothers estate she verbally left the house to me. What is the next step? In Kansas

My father and his brother are in agreement with her wishes.

Scott C. Stockwell
Scott C. Stockwell answered on Apr 21, 2021

If you, your father, and brother represent all of the persons with a possible interest in your grandmother's estate, the three of you may enter into a valid settlement agreement that controls the ownership of property in the estate. There are several steps that you would have to follow to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Kansas on
Q: a person made offer on house was rejected. We then made offer was never told what owners said instead was told we were

our bid was beat. SO then the real estate agent told us this was one and done going tpo be the fnal bid. AS he went back to original bidder who was rejected and he gave new offer which we then bid our best offer assuming we were the final bid as he had said. Only to receive a call that said we lost... Read more »

Scott C. Stockwell
Scott C. Stockwell answered on Apr 21, 2021

The obligations of a broker to buyer and to seller may vary based upon whether they are a seller's broker, buyer's broker, or a transaction broker. The duties of the different types of brokers are summarized by the Kansas Real Estate Commission on the following website:... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for Kansas on
Q: Is there a probate period following death imvolving real property in kansas? And what is it?

Unsure if there was a will but the decedent was only a week buried is it even the heirs legal right to sell a house?

Scott C. Stockwell
Scott C. Stockwell answered on Apr 21, 2021

After a person passes away, an probate estate may be opened. If there is a will, it must be filed with the court within six months of the date of death and an executor will be appointed. If there is no will, an heir at law or creditor may file a petition to probate the estate for the benefit of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Kansas on
Q: Hi What is the statue of limitations for suing a landlord for breach of the rental contract. I’m in Kansas. Thank you
Scott C. Stockwell
Scott C. Stockwell answered on Apr 5, 2021

The statute of limitation for an action based upon a written agreement is 5 years. If the agreement was oral, it would be 3 years. There may be some statutory rights (e.g., Landlord Tenant) that are involved in which case the statute of limitations would generally be three years. If the statutory... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Kansas on
Q: My mother father had a will forme and my brother to split everything 50 /50 the willwas that way 54 years mom died

And dad changed it my brother got everything I didn't even get a will copy is this legal

Scott C. Stockwell
Scott C. Stockwell answered on Apr 5, 2021

It is unclear whether your question pertains to your mother's or father's estate. Because of that ambiguity, I would encourage you to visit with an attorney.

Your mother and father may have had a joint will. Attorneys generally discourage clients from writing joint wills because...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents for Kansas on
Q: I was involved in a head on collision while working should I contact a lawyer

Went to hospital for knee and hip pain.

Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh answered on Apr 1, 2021

Yes, you should consult with a lawyer---you want to make sure that you are protected----Use the Find a Lawyer tab and search for injury/accident lawyers in your area and contact a few of them----most give free, no obligation first meetings on these type cases----I know my firm does----so take them... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for Kansas on
Q: My son is incarnated and yesterday he got his stimulus check in the mail, now I have power of attorney over him and all

His assets including property. So how can I get his check cashed? I have a saving account and so does his wife but the bank says they can't cash it.

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Mar 26, 2021

No bank will cash a government check that is not signed by the intended recipient. Either get your son to sign it over to you or keep it until he gets out of jail.

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning for Kansas on
Q: Why is it that a mental evaluation is required to prove that the elderly person has been conned into signing a trust?

Why is it that a mental evaluation is required in order to prove that an elderly person has been conned into adding a POD on their banking account?

Scott C. Stockwell
Scott C. Stockwell answered on Mar 25, 2021

Kansas has statutes and case law that recognize that undue influence and manipulation of an elderly person is wrong. In some instances, it is a crime. In some instances, the court has the power to right the wrong. In both instances, the court's job is a difficult one. As all people age, their... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for Kansas on
Q: My mother died I paid all debts and will wasn't probate. No in probate but attorney trying to get settled without judge

lawyers trying to settle and sibling declare descendants wasn't in a will and trying to force sheriff sale

Doug Coe
Doug Coe answered on Mar 5, 2021

In Kansas, there are ways in which real estate can transfer outside of probate and without respect to what a Will says. Seems like there are a number of issues here. I would recommend hiring an attorney -- even if just for an hour or so -- to help figure out what exactly is going on. Disclaimer:... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant, Estate Planning and Probate for Kansas on
Q: Who has the legal rights to own the possessions of a deceased roommate if said roommate has no family?

My friends housemate passed away recently. They lived together for about 10 years in one house (owned by the living housemate) in Missouri. The deceased had no family at all that were living, except for one estranged brother who may be in prison, whereabouts unknown and no will made out. The... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Feb 28, 2021

A Kansas attorney could advise best here, but your post remains open for four weeks. At this point, you might not want to lose more time waiting for a response in a different legal category, but this is something that attorneys in the Probate and Estate Planning categories would have the most... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Kansas on
Q: Immigration question for Venezuelan citizen.

My parents are Venezuelan citizens. They came to the US on a Tourist visa in early Feb of 2020, their goal was a 4 months visit but due to Covid restrictions they were unable to leave as planned and after a few failed attempts they haven't been able to leave the US as of Feb 2021. The last... Read more »

Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black answered on Feb 27, 2021

A US citizen adult child can sponsor their parents for green cards provided the parents entered the United States with permission. Parents can still adjust status to get a green card if sponsored by their adult child, despite that they are out of status. However I would advise your parents not to... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Intellectual Property and Trademark for Kansas on
Q: When I consult with an attorney that specializes in patents, trademarks, etc . Do I need to protect my idea in advance?

I have rough prototype for an invention , i’ve done a rough patent search. I just want to protect my idea as best as possible. And maybe advice on my next steps .

Kathryn Perales
Kathryn Perales answered on Feb 24, 2021

Every licensed attorney has a legal and ethical duty to keep confidential everything you disclose, unless they let you know in advance that they may have a conflict of interest. Many people consider this to be sufficient to protect your interests. You can also ask the attorney to sign a... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Kansas on
Q: statue of limitations petition was filed 6 days before limitations and clerk filed with court after statue past
David Adams
David Adams answered on Feb 17, 2021

Not clear exactly what happened here. Most all filings are online now, so there is no delay in filing. If you physically dropped off paperwork with the clerk and they did not file timely, that could be a real problem. Currently because of Covid-19 most statutes of limitations are suspended, so... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Kansas on
Q: When can a felon own a gun in Kansas again? It’s been 6 years, no other infractions. Was att agg robbery.

Level 3 person felony I believe was where it fell on the table.

Caroline Bundy
Caroline Bundy answered on Feb 14, 2021

You would either to have your convictions expunged or pardoned. Even then, it becomes more of an issue on the federal level.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.