Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Missouri Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody for Missouri on
Q: In Missouri we have 2 homes. One is currently not occupied. My two sons 16 and 17 can they live alone there legally?

I would be residing 20 min away with my mother who is elderly. They are very self sufficient young men but can they legally stay/live alone in our other home and it be legally ok?

Kristen Thurmond
Kristen Thurmond
answered on Aug 10, 2022

You should not leave your teenage children alone for long periods of time as it will open you up to neglect claims. The better option is to merge households at your earliest convenience or find in-home care for your mother. You may need to contact the state to see what services you can find for... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Missouri on
Q: Can I beat a non compete agreement, and is it harrasment if they get me fired from a new job and lie to unemployment?

I worked for an old-time photo studio in Branson, Mo. I was fired for going on family vacation, after I gave a 3-month notice. Two weeks before time to go I was told if I went, I would not have a job when I returned home. I had already payed for the house and pre-paid tickets costing over $2000.... Read more »

Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg
answered on Aug 8, 2022

You should hire an attorney to review the non-competition agreement and provide you with his or her opinion of its enforceability. I have no opinion on whether it is enforceable, but the answer to your question, if you are asking how the new company could terminate your employment, lies with the... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law for Missouri on
Q: What are my rights as a father when my ex had the kids taken by DFS

My ex-wife not legal ex-wife yet had the kids taken from her by DFS due to multiple calls concerning the welfare of the children her and her boyfriend had them living in garbage and feces and DFS put them with her boyfriend's mom why can't I get them

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Missouri on
Q: Fines paid aprrox 6 months left of probation can they make me pay the private probation more money after I already paid

Over 300 to private probation they already make me see judge once month I have to travel 120 to court when I do

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Car Accidents for Missouri on
Q: what happens when there is a prosecution with compensatory damages against a homeless man?

Homeless man saw my car on a parked lot, had a large brick and decided to make my day (and apparently several other car owners') miserable. Local PD apprehended the man, and are in process of filing charges. Worried the near $5000 in damages to my car will come out of my pocket and I'll... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Traffic Tickets for Missouri on
Q: I got couple tickets from Missouri state trooper and my court date was July 6,2022 I appeared in court and was nowhere d

I noticied clerk and they couldn't find me on file nowhere I'm not trying to get a warrant what do I do

Andrea Rogers
Andrea Rogers
answered on Aug 5, 2022

It is common in some courts (especially St. Louis County Circuit Court), for it to take several months for a traffic ticket to get filed and a court date to be assigned. You can hire an attorney to get your tickets amended to non-moving, no-point infractions. You won't have to appear in court.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant, Personal Injury and Products Liability for Missouri on
Q: Can I sue my landlord for mold exposure after signing renters liability waiver?

Me and my family have been exposed to white black and green mold within our walls. We all have been experiencing different health problems that are consistent with mold exposure. We found out that old mold had been sitting and spreading through our walls before we signed a lease. We found out about... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Aug 12, 2022

A Missouri attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. I'm sorry for your family's ordeal. Your best option for a meaningful answer to your question would be to try to arrange a free initial consult with a law firm. That's because attorneys would likely... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for Missouri on
Q: Are assets that are POD to specific persons considered part of the probate or separate from probate?

I am referring to a retirement account and certificate of deposit. No real estate or personal property like a car or boat.

Lloyd M. Nolan
Lloyd M. Nolan
answered on Aug 3, 2022

If the retirement account and certificate of deposit already have named beneficiar(ies), then it will not be necessary to file a probate proceeding as to those assets. Those assets would "by-pass" Probate - assuming the beneficiary has survived the decedent.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Small Claims for Missouri on
Q: My ex mother-in-law is threatening to sue me, can she do this?

I said to her I would give her this amount of money which is coming from an inheritance I was given. I decided not to give it to her. Now she is threatening to take it to court, and to pay her a lot more than what she asked for.

Now, I did use her car for many years and usually paid her.... Read more »

Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg
answered on Aug 3, 2022

She can sue you if she pays the filing fee. Whether she will prevails depends upon many factors. As the plaintiff she will be the burden of proof. She'll need to establish the essential elements of her claim. For example, in a suit for breach of contact she'd need to show that there... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law for Missouri on
Q: mom died before the close of the property we have a beneficiary deed with our names on it and we dont want to sell

4 sons do not want to sell home and have a beneficiary deed with their names, real estate agent says we have to sell

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Adoption for Missouri on
Q: My step-father & I want to pursue adult adoption, but he's worried I may end up being liable for his debt. Is that true?

I'm 35 and my step-dad has been in my life for 30 years, we've just never made it official. He and my mother have substantial debt (mortgage, credit cards, loans, etc.) and he wants to ensure that I won't be held responsible for their debt once I become his legal child.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Landlord - Tenant for Missouri on
Q: Is 80 plus degrees considered livable for an apartment?

700 sq ft Apartment in Jefferson County, we have the AC running 24/7 and it is still over 80 degrees inside, and we pay almost $300 for electric. Seems absurd, maintenance has looked at ac twice and says its fine, it does pump out cold air but mainly sits in the cavity in the ceiling. Wondering if... Read more »

Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg
answered on Aug 2, 2022

That's awfully hot and very hight for the electric bill. The lease probably makes you responsible for the bill.

If you just move out you'll probably get sued and it will show up on Casenet regardless of the outcome. A better option, if you can afford it, is to hire an attorney to...
Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Municipal Law for Missouri on
Q: At my polling place in Missouri, there are no booths- only round tables where voters sit to fill out ballots.

Ballots are requested verbally and ballot party affiliation can be seen by others before being seated. Multiple voters are seated at the same round table. This seems like a breach of voting procedure law. How does this work?

0 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury and Landlord - Tenant for Missouri on
Q: Can my roommate\owner, turn off the power to my room?

She is wanting me to move out, so she turned off the power.

0 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law, Gov & Administrative Law and Land Use & Zoning for Missouri on
Q: Can the usps put someone else mailbox on your property legally?

The usps wants to put a 16 person mailbox on my private property and I do not want them to. If they are allowed to can I be compensated for it?

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Business Law, Civil Litigation and Collections for Missouri on
Q: I don't know what else I can do to get LINCAREINC to stop sending and billing me for stuff not wanted.

I have asked lincare twice to stop sending me things and there is a note on my account for them to stop but they keep sending and billing me and insurance for stuff. I have a cpap machine that I paid off but are still charging both me and insurance for. My insurance said they filed a complaint on... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Child Support for Missouri on
Q: My child’s father continues to move states to avoid paying child support. What can be done about this? Over $5000 behind

I provide information to the states enforcement team of his location and employment when I learn of it but the system is so slow that he moves again once they make contact with him.

0 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law for Missouri on
Q: Can condo mgmt enter ground floor unit to inspect the interior sink plumbing despite access under unit to common pipes

They have keys and want to invade space to look at all plumbing inside 14 year old unit and mandate upgrades at our expense. We are on ground floor, no other unit would be impacted by leaks, and they have unfettered access to all common plumbing under our unit.

Do they have a legal right to... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.