Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
International Law Questions & Answers
3 Answers | Asked in Divorce, Immigration Law, Civil Rights and International Law for New Jersey on
Q: Hypothetically let's say an immigrant married a US resident, and planned on creating a life here in the US together.

However the immigrant through time and lifestyle choices and even personal relationships, no longer felt the relationship they were in was feesable for them and the US resident to remain as a couple.

However the immigrant has a job and a life that they enjoy as well they may have even... Read more »

Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer answered on Mar 5, 2021

What you describe is real life that repeats itself throughout the country in every state. You need to retain an experienced matrimonial and immigration attorney otherwise you will be in over your head. No hypotheticals about it!

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in International Law and Landlord - Tenant for New York on
Q: Is a rental agreement and utility bill enough to be granted entry into canada from the US?


Elaine Shay
Elaine Shay answered on Mar 4, 2021

Entry into Canada requires that all persons carry both proof of citizenship and proof of identity. A valid U.S. passport, passport card, or NEXUS card satisfies these requirements for U.S. citizens. However, US citizens can no longer cross the border, back into the US, from Canada, using only a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and International Law on
Q: Good Morning I need some advice on an indictment that was dismissed in 2003. CR 93-588 LH, Document 74, 09-15-2003.

I have been living in Mexico for the past 25 or so years due to this indictment. I need to cross back into the U.S. for some legal matters due to the passing of my father. I only have my original birth certificate and baptismal certificate. Please inform me as to my status as far as crossing the... Read more »

David Luther Woodward
David Luther Woodward answered on Feb 25, 2021

You give no clue on which state held the indictment, but if it was truly DISMISSED it is probably long forgotten unless the NCIS computer remembers it. I would contact a lawyer in the state/county where the charge was to do some quiet inquiry on your behalf to determine the status because leaving... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in International Law on
Q: Hello Aslam e Alikum I want to ask that I want to register my product internationally. I am from Pakistan.
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Feb 9, 2021

When you say "register," that could mean a number of things, depending on the context. If you mean "register" in the sense of intellectual property rights (protecting a name you chose for the product, protecting your idea, etc.), there are categories for those areas of law here... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in International Law on
Q: is international law cannot prevent its own violations and why is it cant prevent?
David Luther Woodward
David Luther Woodward answered on Feb 5, 2021

You question makes no sense. Please rephrase it with some detail

2 Answers | Asked in International Law for Georgia on
Q: How can I get legal advice regarding a CD transfer from a late relative to another relative? The bank is foreign.

The bank is in Europe.

David Luther Woodward
David Luther Woodward answered on Jan 30, 2021

You need to contact a lawyer in the country where the account is held for advice. With the paucity of information you give no one here can be of assistance.

Good Luck


View More Answers

Q: A new cigarette that will positively change global market, even among non-smokers. Huge ROI, new paradigm, evolutionary!

My question is about today's processes as far as patent search, type of patent required to protect our idea, securing our rights BEFORE leaking the idea to those who might steal it before we come to market, and resources on implementation and aligning with potentially existing cigarette... Read more »

Peter D. Mlynek
Peter D. Mlynek answered on Jan 24, 2021

Congratulations on your new venture!

Yes, you need to apply for a patent before you present it, market it, sell it, or even talk about it in detail with anyone. Absolutely. You do not need to get a patent, but you need to apply for it. This is especially true because you will need to get...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Divorce and International Law for Florida on


Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Jan 19, 2021

To get a divorce, you need an attorney here in Florida, who can consult with an attorney in Germany about the German laws. The German lawyer can better advise you about the law in Germany and which jurisdiction would more likely award an enforceable custody decree. It's a complex matter of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in International Law on
Q: 1. MOU, LOI, term sheet – Is it possible to include a clause that requires the parties to observe a duty of good faith ?

How would they go about doing that? Would you recommend even including such a clause in the MOU/LOI/term sheet?

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jan 9, 2021

It is generally possible in many contracts. The decision could depend on how well the entire contract is drafted, and whether inclusion of the clause would be beneficial. Another factor to consider is the relationship with the other party to the contract. Under general contract law, good faith is... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Constitutional Law and International Law for Colorado on
Q: Is it possible to get a case tossed out on procedural grounds without needing to post bond or show up personally?

Long story short, I recently had my passport revoked while abroad due to a state felony arrest warrant being issued for me about 8 years ago. During my time abroad, I have filled my US taxes every year, voted in every election (same district that has filled the charges), been registered in the... Read more »

David Luther Woodward
David Luther Woodward answered on Dec 30, 2020

You have a tricky situation:

I would approach it this way. I would contact a very good criminal lawyer in the jurisdiction where the criminal action is lodged and abide his advice. If your theory (or any theory) is correct, then you can attack the passport problem once you have your...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in International Law on
Q: I'm sorry I still don't understand is the name capsule Corp trademarked or is it cancelled as a trade-mark?
David Luther Woodward
David Luther Woodward answered on Dec 29, 2020

This is an impossible question to answer in short form. Where was it trademarked? What is trademarked in more than one jurisdiction? Who and what was done to cancel the mark, if anything.

I suggest you confer with an intellectual property lawyer who has some international experience....
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and International Law on
Q: How to get an international divorce recognized in the USA?

I got married to a Russian citizen in Rhode Island. Later we got divorced in Russia, where I still live and work. I want to get married again (this time in Russia), but I'd need to provide Certificate of No Record of Marriage from the US. Is it correct that to get this document I'd have... Read more »

David Luther Woodward
David Luther Woodward answered on Dec 16, 2020

This is the first time I have heard of such a certificated requirement in over 50 years of practice. It is tantamount to proving a negative, which is damned near impossible. It requires examining the universe and concluding such does not exists

Start with the issue that marriage is...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in International Law on
Q: Due diligence, strategic ?

Due diligence, strategic – Mare Nostrum has a number of contracts for the purchase of oil, but it seems that many of these contracts allow the parties to renegotiate certain terms for every delivery, including the INCOTERMS. What INCOTERM would you suggest using for the delivery of oil done via... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Dec 12, 2020

Some of the terms could include defining the point of delivery (point at which risk of loss passes), import/export formalities, and insurance. These are only a few basics. If you are doing this as a research assignment, you should be able to find others online. If you are doing this in the course... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in International Law on
Q: Dear, My private sailing yacht is confiscated in International waters.and returned damaged.


My private sailing yacht is confiscated in International waters and drag to Spain in search for drugs by Spanish police.

There was no drugs on boat and boat is returned to me very damaged.$95 000 officially estimated.

I am Serbian citizen .no US residents.

My... Read more »

David Luther Woodward
David Luther Woodward answered on Dec 11, 2020

Suing a sovereign state is a sticky-wicket anywhere. There is the traditional concept of sovereign immunity which simply put is "the King can do no wrong".

U. S. does have a statute permitting the filing of suits against foreign governments. It is, indeed, a specialty. Finding...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in International Law for Texas on
Q: What does need to identify mean in Pre release from TDCJ?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Nov 22, 2020

You could repost your question under Criminal Law - Texas. This doesn't look like an international law matter, which might be why it remained open for three weeks. It looks like it's something that involves the Pre-Release Substance Abuse Program (PRSAP) with the Texas Department of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and International Law for Texas on
Q: My fiance's family moved to the US when he was 1 y.o. Is there any possibility that he can get the citizenship?

Hello. I have recently heard about your free legal services. My fiancé and I are in the process of moving to a small town in my country. We are just at the beginning, so your advice would be very important to us. Namely, my fiance's family migrated to the US (from North America), when he was... Read more »

Grant St Julian III
Grant St Julian III answered on Nov 13, 2020

Yes. Contact an attorney in your area to discuss possibilities. Good luck, and congratulations on the engagement.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law, Tax Law, International Law and Internet Law for Texas on
Q: Hey plzz reply ASAP dear...I too live in the can you get paid from youtube even after having F1 visa?

So if I upload a video from US but link it with my homecountry bank...which means I can't get the money in USA but only get money in my home country bank that legal and fine? And what if I know someone who is working in USA and invested and have E2 visa(not green card), can I... Read more »

Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler answered on Nov 6, 2020

No! You are living and working in the U. S. in violation of your F-1 student status. There can be remedies to this mistake, but you need an appointment with a competent and experienced immigration attorney, who can take the time to provide legal advice.

The above is general information,...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Intellectual Property, International Law and Internet Law on
Q: Can I sue a rating app for defamation?

I own a cosmetic brand in the usa and there's a popular app that evaluates safety of cosmetic products. It rated my products badly and stated they're not safe to use because they contain certain ingredients. These ingredients are researched to be toxic in certain concentrations, which is... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Nov 5, 2020

There's a category here for Libel and Slander (see the linked text "Show More Practice Areas"). There's no guarantee all posts are picked up, but if you added that category, there might be better chances for a response. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and International Law for New York on
Q: Can I be in trouble sending money to friend in Romania from US?

I met a man in romania in april 2019. we have met 3 times since in romania. He has little and I sometimes send him money. Recently a online transfer company small world stoped my transfer and said compliance stopped it. they wont tell me why. They did call and ask how i knew him and if we had... Read more »

Peter Wade Kolp
Peter Wade Kolp answered on Oct 29, 2020

Compliance may suspect some top of fraud.

Mail fraud and wire fraud are federal crimes in the United States that involve mailing or electronically transmitting something associated with fraud. Jurisdiction is claimed by the federal government if the illegal activity crosses interstate or...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and International Law for California on
Q: looking for a lawyer specialized in contracts for China to help me prepare a comprehensive NDA for a supplier in China
Shawn R. Jackson Esq.
Shawn R. Jackson Esq. answered on Oct 28, 2020

Well, as you might imagine, there are a number of legal and business issues in dealing with suppliers or customers in another country ... and China poses a few unique issues. So, the first step is to schedule a free initial video call or telephone call with at least two attorneys of your choice to... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.