Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Pennsylvania Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Pennsylvania on
Q: Can a owner change their mind about renewing a lease after they emailed you saying they are preparing a new lease?

Owner agreed to extend lease for another year via email and then texted 2 weeks later stating that they will only extend for another six months even though they promised to extend for an additional year.

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Sep 13, 2021

Unless they had formally contracted with you I don't see a claim to holding them to a year. If the six months meet your terms and you want to stay, sign the six months and look for a place.

1 Answer | Asked in Legal Malpractice for Pennsylvania on
Q: Can I sue my lawyer for malpractice?

After their testimonies unwittingly showed their motor vehicle hit my bicycle, my lawyer did not question the defendant's witnesses over their words at their cross examinations. He also did not raise their statements at his closing argument before the jury! We lost the jury decision.... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Sep 13, 2021

The lawyer may have had tactical reasons for doing what he did. Jurors may have looked at other issues. Your attorney was, I assume under a contingent fee. He had every reason to do his utmost to win. If he and you believe it's against the weight of the evidence he can file an appeal. That... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI for Pennsylvania on
Q: Is it legal for the prothonotary and clerk of courts to send me a bill after paying close to 2,000 in fines on a 1st dui

I told them I didn’t owe them anything and made payments for 4 years probation but they said they will lien my house if I don’t pay! Odd thing is, it’s Already paid because I thought I was paying on the same thing. Then I noticed the amount wasn’t going down and that when they said I owed... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Sep 13, 2021

Talk to the lawyer that represented you. You should get receipts for what you paid. If you paid by check or credit card, get copies of all of those.

Your debt is to the county. The question is how many debts did you owe the county--if you owed 2 or 3 and only paid on one, you still owe....
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Pennsylvania on
Q: Can my ex girlfriend blackmailed me if I don’t send my truck over she’s also threatening to press charges against me

We have got into several fights there was one time the police were called in the report done but neither one of us called or had the police report done she went and signed a piece of paper stopping the investigation can she pursue any charges if she stop the investigation and didn’t follow... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Sep 13, 2021

anyone can threaten anything. You should consult an attorney to discuss your potential exposure to having a complaint lodged against you--and note, she can still follow through on that even if you give her your truck.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Pennsylvania on
Q: Moved out from apt in April-still waiting for security deposit that was made 37 years ago

Plus, shouldn't there be interest accrued in 37 years?

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Sep 13, 2021

You should send a written request, certified return receipt requested.

If you don't get it you have both an administrative and a court remedy.

Best of luck!

2 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law for Pennsylvania on
Q: i live in pennsylvania my dad lives in north carolina he wants to tranfer a deed into my name can we do that in pa
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on Sep 10, 2021

The Deed needs to comport with the State in which the land lies. So hire an attorney to draft the Deed in that State and County where it will be recorded.

View More Answers

3 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law for Pennsylvania on
Q: If I over stay my non- imgrant visa is there a way for me to live in the u.s legally and work
Alexander Ivakhnenko
Alexander Ivakhnenko answered on Sep 17, 2021

Impossible to answer as your note lacks essential facts. But even generally, a visa overstay begins to acquire unlawful presence and one that time exceeds one year that visa overstayed foreign national triggers a statutory ten year inadmissibility finding.

Secondly, that alien is not...
Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Trademark for Pennsylvania on
Q: Can I trademark a name with slightly different spelling
Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta answered on Sep 8, 2021

It will probably be rejected and they may come back after you

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Pennsylvania on
Q: My father in law filled out papers to bring his daughter to the US and is using his son’s ( my husband’s) income to meet

The requirements to sponsor her So my husband filled out an I-864A. Now, me and my husband filled our taxes together so does that mean I also have to fill out a I-864A because my income is also on the income tax return he is providing?

Kyndra L Mulder
Kyndra L Mulder answered on Sep 7, 2021

You fill out the I-864A only if you intend to be joint sponsor/household member. Your husband will need to provide proof of HIS income stated on the joint tax return. Your share of the income on the return can not be considered for meeting the financial requirement unless you complete an I-864A.

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright for Pennsylvania on
Q: Can I print logos on shirts and print it. Like a jersey. For example can I print shirt with the AmEx logo
Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta answered on Sep 4, 2021

I recommend you do not.

Consult an attorney.

2 Answers | Asked in Tax Law and Collections for Pennsylvania on
Q: is there anyway to fight back against the IRS regarding my situation ?

for 2020 I owed $7200 on April 15th to the IRS but I accidentally dated it for 2021 and now they refuse to transfer the $7,200 from 2021 to 2020. so essentially my $7,200 is just sitting there being unused because im no longer self employed so I no longer need to make quarterly payments. I'm... Read more »

W. J. Winterstein Jr.
W. J. Winterstein Jr. answered on Sep 4, 2021

(1) If you can find the right person to talk with in the IRS, your problem should be resolvable. When you contact the IRS, keep asking for the next higher supervisor until you get someone who will work with you.

(2) Other than that, on January 1st, 2022, file your 2021 return, show the...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Pennsylvania on
Q: My daughter had a solo car accident and was issued a DC # at the scene she was taken to the hospital will there be more

Tickets she also had alcohol in her system

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Sep 4, 2021

A Pennsylvania attorney should advise here, but your post remains open for five days. I hope your daughter is okay. You may be losing time waiting for a response in this category. Instead of a car accident attorney, you may need guidance from attorneys in the DUI/DWI category. You could repost in... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Pennsylvania on
Q: Both of my parent's recently died within 13 months of each other. They did not leave a Will.

Prior to their deaths, my youngest sister (among 5) took over handling all of their finances, at the request of my Mother, and became their power of attorney ("POA"), which I'm not sure was ever made official.

Following my Mother's most recent death, my sister ~ the... Read more »

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on Sep 3, 2021

It sounds like a probate was opened by your sister. Probate is a kind of court case and the records are public. You can go to the courthouse nearest where your mother died and ask to look at the file. You will probably find answers in the file. If you do not understand what you are seeing, you... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Pennsylvania on
Q: Hello! I do have a question. I am 20 going on 21 I've been here for 10 years plus. My mom became a citizen before

I came to America. She did not put in my citizenship and my green card have been expired

Can I put in my citizenship under my mom at 21?

Or do I have to do it the regular way?

Kyndra L Mulder
Kyndra L Mulder answered on Aug 30, 2021

Even though your green crd has expired your status as an LPR has not expired.

If your mother became a USC before you turned 18, you have acquired citizenship through her.

3 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning for Pennsylvania on
Q: I'm 18 and my parents are asking me to sign them financial powers of attorney. Should I?

They have offered to pay for my college which I'm really thankful for, but reading through the document it seems like I'm essentially hand them full control over everything I own and will ever own. They say it's only to be used in case I get incapacitate but I don't see where it... Read more »

John B. Whalen, Jr.
John B. Whalen, Jr. answered on Aug 29, 2021

… because of the nature of today’s world, coupled with the Privacy Rules, your parents would not be able to help you at all without a Power of Attorney being signed …

… yes - it is a very powerful document - but they are your parents …

… I think you know what to do …


View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Workers' Compensation for Pennsylvania on
Q: While married you have a workers comp monthly payment. You then separate from your spouse and then are awarded a lump

settlement for future earnings. Is your spouse entitled to this lump settlement?

Glenn Neiman
Glenn Neiman answered on Aug 26, 2021

Unfortunately, I cannot answer your question. I (and my firm) handle only PA workers' compensation cases. The question you are asking is not governed by workers' compensation laws, but by family law. I would suggest you post this on the Family Law practice area. Good luck!

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Elder Law for Pennsylvania on
Q: My job is a caregiver

I recently switched company's and my client I had with my old company changed to the current company I'm with now before I started there the client in question wants me to still be their caregiver and I would too but we both signed a paper in short that can't happen until a year has... Read more »

Carrie Dyer
Carrie Dyer answered on Aug 25, 2021

It sounds like you have a non-compete and/or non-solicitation agreement with your former employer. If the agreement is enforceable, and you violate the terms, your former employer can sue you and your new employer. You should have your contract containing the non-compete/non-solicitation... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for Pennsylvania on
Q: My brother was on the run for year and he had a warrant they sent him to youth center he have court on 24 he is 20
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 20, 2021

He needs to ask for a public defender.

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law for Pennsylvania on
Q: my mother let my dog loose and is being charged with animal cruelty but the cops will not give my dog back

He is microchipped and when he was found i wasnt contacted they tried to take the dog home and my mother refused to let it on the property. So the cops took my dog and now refuse to tell me where he is will not give him back or anything i was not part of the animal cruelty as i had no idea he was... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 20, 2021

Contact the animal rescue league or any similar group in your county and see if they can intervene or help. Not sure why the police won't tell you where the dog is. Try the DA's office Victim Assistance Coordinator.

1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law for Pennsylvania on
Q: found guilty of retail theft at family dollar. Charged suspisciously! I am NOT GUILTY. Appealed descison!!Please help

. Accused of thEft summary offense local police officer was who put the charges on me the charges were placedweeksafter I got home with my purchased items. No stolen items. I have the receipt and there was no apprehension of me nor did anyone contact me until the court papers came in the mail. It... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 20, 2021

First make copies of your documents. Ask for a public defender. Call the county bar association and see if they have any volunteer lawyers.

Ask the prosecutor to produce a list of the items allegedly stolen. If your slip matches theirs no problem.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.