Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Gov & Administrative Law Questions & Answers
3 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury, Car Accidents and Gov & Administrative Law for California on
Q: Are there any precautions against releasing LA METRO from liability when they are obviously at fault?

My insurance has determined that I was not at-fault, so it won't affect my insurance rates. The other insurance company has offered to pay for all damages but denies liability, saying they want to avoid a lawsuit. I have to sign to release them of liability before receiving the final one-time... Read more »

Patrick William Steinfeld
Patrick William Steinfeld answered on Mar 24, 2022

A Release is simply a contract. You agree to release the other party in consideration of them paying you for your damages. LA Metro denies liability which is standard. A Release is a full and final release of ALL claims... past, present and future. You don't get 2-bites of the apple. You will... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Criminal Law for Texas on
Q: My husband doesn’t have a hearing scheduled or an indictment it’s been over 45 days. What does this mean?
Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace answered on Mar 23, 2022

If he's still in jail it means he hasn't posted bond. If the bond is too high, you could ask his attorney if there is any chance to get it lowered. However, it is also possible that his attorney won't talk to you since you are not technically the client... your husband is. Most... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Texas on
Q: is it a crime to falsify the minutes of an elected government body, a Republican County Executive Committee
Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace answered on Mar 22, 2022

I suspect that, for the purposes of a crime like falsifying a government record, the party executive committing is more akin to a private club than a government body. I haven't researched that but that would be my guess.

3 Answers | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law for Florida on
Q: I own a condo in Florida. Along with my purchase I received 2 deeded parking spots.

Does the BOD have the authority to tell me what I can and cannot park in my spots? Do they have the authority to tow a car out of my deed owned parking spot?

Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron answered on Mar 21, 2022

The BOD can enact reasonable Rules & Regs applicable to the entire complex (but not selectively against you) regarding types of vehicles that are prohibited from parking at the complex. To be legally valid, such Rules & Regs would must be enacted in accordance with all of the notice and... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Employment Law and Employment Discrimination for Kentucky on
Q: Is a government agency allowed to require a subjective written exercise as a form of interview?

The position applied for was to be considered for a position investigating civilian complaints against local law enforcement. A sample civilian complaint was given, and the prospective employee was required to subjectively identify violated SOPs within the scenario, as well as make a finding on... Read more »

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Mar 15, 2022

Yes. They are allowed to do so.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Business Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Indiana on
Q: There are references like "As added by P.L.14-1992, SEC.163." in IC. What does this mean and where can I find the text

Searching old Indiana Code and can't find anything. Example - IC 28-13-10-1 references the above. IC 28-7-1-16(d) and IC 28-13-10-1(b) are similar except the latter states "Unless the articles of incorporation or bylaws provide otherwise...." I need to find which IC controls, if... Read more »

Michael Ray Smith
Michael Ray Smith answered on Mar 8, 2022

What does that mean? Once a bill is passesd by the General Assembly, it is called a Public Law and assigned a number. P.L. 14-1992 Sec. 163 refers to Section 163 of Public Law 14 signed by the Governor in 1992, but that's about all you can tell from the number. Public Laws are difficult to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Gov & Administrative Law for Indiana on
Q: Can an Indiana Chief Deputy Prosecutor be charged/prosecuted for a murder he/she committed prior to becoming a CDP?
Andrew L. Bennett
Andrew L. Bennett answered on Mar 8, 2022

Yes; their status as a prosecutor does not give immunity to murder charges and there is no statute of limitations on when charges for murder can be filed.

Q: 5:14-cv-03139-SAC-DJW. Help please.
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Mar 4, 2022

A Connecticut attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. And you post under Personal Injury and Appeals/Appellate, suggesting that a need to appeal your matter might be at hand. With the question & answer format here, it's difficult for attorneys to reach out... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Gov & Administrative Law for Rhode Island on
Q: i was wondering if a non violent felon can own a non-lethal weapon in the state of rhode island? the felony charges were

15 years ago.

Thomas Briody
Thomas Briody answered on Mar 2, 2022

Felons cannot possess a firearm. I am not sure what you mean by ‘non lethal.’ A baseball bat can be lethal, but there is no law against possessing one. Knives are also lethal, but you can possess one in most circumstances. Maybe you should consult a lawyer in private, and be more specific... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Massachusetts on
Q: Can your tourist visa be taken away if you stay 4 months in the United States?
Giselle M. Rodriguez
Giselle M. Rodriguez answered on Feb 26, 2022

Good Afternoon:

This depends on your individual circumstances and on your immigration history.

In general, the period of authorized stay in the United States on a tourist visa is 6 months, but always verify the actual stamp on your passport because it is there where you will be...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Oklahoma on
Q: In the state of Oklahoma can a police officer traspassing on private property with signs posted
Charles Watts
Charles Watts answered on Feb 24, 2022

If the officer has a legitimate purpose in accordance with their duties then yes they can ignore the posted signs and conduct their official business.

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law on
Q: In UK can you video record in diplomatic premises (I.e. foreign consulate)?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Feb 17, 2022

This forum is based largely on U.S. law. You would need guidance from an attorney or solicitor familiar with UK law. However, another consideration is that fact that the diplomatic premises could have its own separate conditions and restrictions for visitors or staff. Good luck

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Gov & Administrative Law and Traffic Tickets for New Jersey on
Q: 88 year old doesnt have hard copy license has dementia cannot produce her drivers license number to replace

How to stop her from driving

H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq. answered on Feb 16, 2022

This is a hard situation, has she diagnosed with dementia? if so her doctor will generally write a letter to MVC getting her license suspended.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Collections, Gov & Administrative Law and Municipal Law for Florida on
Q: Can you have a daily accruing fine without notice for five years?

I repaired a city code violation in an apartment I own as I normally would so that I could rerent the apartment, it was air conditioning problem. After five years without any notice and thinking the matter was taken care of, I received a letter from code enforcement saying that my daily accrued... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Feb 16, 2022

I am unable to advise you on this important matter without first being able to see the original notice of code violation that you received from the city five years ago (you can request a copy) and reviewing the specific section of the Code(as it was five years ago) the city is using to try to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law for Florida on
Q: " Tennessee Code Annotated 50-7-302(b)(3)." what does this mean?

my wife received this as a determination for a reason of why she now has a fraudulent unemployment claim from back in 2010 that we just recently found out about. this happened in knoxville tn.

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Feb 15, 2022

Maybe you should google "Tennessee Code", or something, and read what the statute says. It's, obviously Tennessee law, not Florida law.

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law for New Mexico on
Q: Can you appeal a civil judgement passed by administrative judge, Can an administrative judge issue a contempt of court?


Joel F. Murray
Joel F. Murray answered on Feb 13, 2022

Generally, there is a process where you can appeal a final administrative decision to court. The process for doing so varies by jurisdiction.

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Tax Law for California on
Q: I do consulting & engineering as a contractor. Can I open an S-corp. in a different state than the one I operate it?

I'll be working from a home office, based in California. Would like to incorporate in Florida.

The nature of the job is either consulting to tech. companies or offering engineering services or selling them designs which I make on my own.

Joel F. Murray
Joel F. Murray answered on Feb 13, 2022

Generally, if a foreign corporation (e.g. a different state) is operating/doing business in a different state than the state in which they are incorporated, they register with the state agency that regulates corporations (in California, the Secretary of State) as a foreign business entity (e.g. a... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Consumer Law, Business Law and Constitutional Law for Michigan on
Q: How can the government claim ownership of confederate gold when it was abandoned or intentionaly hidden by confederacy

If the president of the Confederate Treasure left the gold intentionally would that not legally invoke the finders keepers laws? Who initially owned the confederate gold?

Thomas. R. Morris
Thomas. R. Morris answered on Feb 11, 2022

The federal Confiscation Act of 1862 would apply to gold owned by the Confederate States of America (which the Act did not recognize as an entity), with the result that the United States would own the gold. This is a hypothetical question because the CSA government probably held no gold at the... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Criminal Law and Gov & Administrative Law for California on
Q: I am a victim of a crime, and the detective threatened me. What actions should I take?

I asked simple questions about how to get property back and a list of the property they took from my residence. He yelled at me, told me he didn't have to give me anything not even a list, told me I'll never get the property back, and that he could search my other properties and... Read more »

Will  Morehead
Will Morehead answered on Feb 5, 2022

I would need more information to answer your question with more specificity. In particular, it is not clear from your question if the "they" who took your property is the police or the person(s) who committed a crime against you.

But the detective is incorrect if he said that...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Communications Law and Gov & Administrative Law for California on
Q: The 911 Dispatcher told the police I was diagnosed as Paranoid Schizophrenic. I have never been diagnosed with anything.

I have this recorded. I'm going to court on a 422 PC-F and a 136.19(A)(1)F also on the 911 recording. There are more issues at hand but i want to know about this one please!

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Feb 3, 2022

more info is needed

you should wait for the arraignment and ask the court to appoint a public defender for you.

s/he will have ALL the info to intelligently address this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.