Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Ohio Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Cannabis & Marijuana Law for Ohio on
Q: I am on probation. I have a medical Marijuana card. Can i be violated for using my card?

I have not been violated yet. I'm simply asking about the possibility.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts for Ohio on
Q: Is my HOA contract still valid and do I need to continue to pay annually?

My HOA declarations list the incorrect county and the "city guidelines" around design elements are based on the WRONG city. The board voted to amend but because of verbiage in the contract, we need a vote from 75% of the lots. That failed, and now no changes can be made. Because of these... Read more »

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on May 16, 2022

If the HOA declaration was properly recorded in your county recorder's office, then until somebody sues the HOA in court, and a court rules the HOA declaration invalid, the HOA can enforce it. A court would probably consider the wrong city/county as a mere drafting error that is not... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Ohio on
Q: After an arrest and release I left my wallet and asked for it back they told me I couldn't have it back. Why?

It's was a theft at Walmart and I was giving a summons and sent on my way. I went right back to get my wallet and the officer said I couldn't have it. He said he tagged it and I can't have it back until monday

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Domestic Violence and Landlord - Tenant for Ohio on
Q: Can my landlord have me escorted off the property, if I'm not on the lease?

I and my sons have been living here since October of 2021. The landlord and lease holder refused to out us in a lease. I had the lease holder arrested for domestic violence against me. After which the landlord wrote me note saying I could stay. Two days later, after speaking with my abuser, lease... Read more »

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams answered on May 15, 2022

He will have to evict you, if you’ve been living there but he can as you have no lease. If the defendant in your DV case put him up to this, the defendant has almost certainly violated the terms of a court no contact order which generally includes not doing anything to mess with the victim’s... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Tax Law for Ohio on
Q: Hello! My employer has bad HSA options. Can I open accounts elsewhere and contribute to them for a tax break?

Please note that this employer does not have direct HSA contributions, so that's not a problem. Instead, they dangle "wellness bucks" in front of you and drop them in your lap if you get a proper checkup annually.

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Ohio on
Q: What rights as a tenant do I have after moving out of almost 5 years? Like how much is my responsibility?

I’m charged over 13,000$

Deposit, rent credits so it’s 10,900

But I feel charged are extremely excessively high

Like paint 600$ Carpet? New doors, trim?

So where would I stand?

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on May 16, 2022

A tenant is only responsible for any damages beyond normal wear and tear. A landlord must give tenant an itemized list of damage within 30 days after tenant vacates. If tenant refuses to pay, then landlord can sue, but landlord must prove that the damage exceeds normal wear and tear. Routine... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Divorce for Ohio on
Q: Is my ex husband allowed to make a tik tok of our divorce? He showed the paperwork, my name, and commented my FULL name

In The comments. All WITHOUT consent and I feel a huge invasion of privacy especially since thousands of people have seen it.

0 Answers | Asked in Probate for Ohio on
Q: In filing a Final and Distributive account for an Ohio probate estate 13.1 do I need list all assets in the Inventory?

... particularly if the assets, like a car, have been sold and the money from the sale is listed as general income on the form, does the car need to be shown on Probate form13.1 as a specific receipt .

0 Answers | Asked in Libel & Slander, Contracts and Small Claims for Ohio on
Q: Hello, I took my seats from a classic mustang to an upholsterer January of 2022. They will not return them

I have inquired multiple times about picking up.. all I get are excuses.. how do I get them back?

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Divorce for Ohio on
Q: My ex-wife and I still own a house together. She is refusing to pay any amount of the mortgage. What can I do

We bought the house, in North Carolina, shortly after getting married. Our jobs moved us out of state and we rented the house out on a 5 year lease with option to buy. The renters didn't buy, but still living there without paying rent (another legal issue in progress), and my now ex-wife is... Read more »

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on May 13, 2022

Your divorce decree should have specified what was to happen to that house, who was to pay mortgage, expenses, etc. If ex is not complying with the decree, then you can file with the court that issued your divorce decree and ask the judge to order her to comply and to hold her in contempt if she... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law for Ohio on
Q: Do I need a lawyer cause I have a summons for a hearing that the father started saying he’s unable to paychildsupport

I live in Ohio, the father has supervised vits but he hasn’t seen her since the day she was born… and an additional question will the courts just say he’s doesn’t have to pay or will they take his rights away?

0 Answers | Asked in Education Law for Ohio on
Q: My son was injured and not allowed to see the nurse at school. What can I do?

We moved here in March. I found out last week that as a punishment, his teacher is not letting him go to graded elective classes. When I talked to the principal, he stated this is something the teachers came up with as a form of detention. When I spoke to his elective teachers, they hadn't... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Elder Law for Ohio on
Q: What to do if my father is considered a behavioral problem and a social worker can’t get a nursing home to approve admit

My father has dementia and when he was first put in a nursing facility and was disoriented became aggressive towards staff. He is now in a hospital for Alzheimer’s patients however he needs to be discharged at some point and nursing facilities who were contacted by the hospital social worker,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Construction Law for Ohio on
Q: Am I obligated to pay?

In December I contacted a company to build me new porch steps. They said they would reach out to me at the beginning of the year for details. In February we were chatting and we discuss me paying half up front and half upon completion. After sending my address I never heard from them so I made... Read more »

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on May 12, 2022

If you don't pay, they could sue you. Depending on the facts, you might have made an oral contract with them. But it would be difficult for them to prove the terms of the oral contract it in court. You could deny there was a contract. If they did not give you the required consumer... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Identity Theft for Ohio on
Q: I purchased my house in Vermilion in 1971. I paid off the mortgage and sold after my husband died in 1994.

I was in court with real estate agents for 10 years & was dropped due to time limit. Where is the money???

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for Ohio on
Q: Can the Ohio child support agency garnish wages for admin fees only and Claim its for child support?

I have a received a letter stating garnishment of wages for child support. I do not owe child support but do owe an admin fee. The letter sent to my employer claims the garnishment is for child support. This is from the Hamilton county child support agency. I have called several times and have... Read more »

Raquel Ann Parish
Raquel Ann Parish answered on May 12, 2022

The Child Support Enforcement Agency can garnish wages until all funds owed are paid. Most likely any administrative fees were included in the wage withholidng order for garnishment.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.