Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Oklahoma Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Construction Law, Criminal Law and Environmental for Oklahoma on
Q: What is the law about distance of a dispensary to a baseball field in Oklahoma?

Distance of baseball field to dispensary

Charles Watts
Charles Watts answered on Sep 7, 2021

There is not one. The limitation is in reference to a public or private school, so unless this baseball field is on school property, then there is no restriction currently.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Domestic Violence for Oklahoma on
Q: If a judge granted a protection order knowing venue was in another county 22-60.3(D) is the default judgment void?

a paternity/custody case was pending between two parties when the mother filed for a protective order in another county. At the final hearing the judge set a review hearing con't the emergency order and transferred it to the county with the pending case. The judge there wouldn't hear the... Read more »

Pete David Louden
Pete David Louden answered on Sep 7, 2021

It appears this question has been asked and answered on this site and others. The answers appear to be consistent. Please refer to previous answers.

Best of luck!

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence, Criminal Law and Family Law for Oklahoma on
Q: Is a motion to hear new evidence how you get a judge to rule victim abused a protection order Okla Statute 22-60.9E ?

the victim made false allegations, omitted exculpatory evidence, and presented a materially altered protection order to a law enforcement officer to effect an arrest. The first chance Defendant talked to public defender he had him talk to the DA about the exculpatory evidence that negated their... Read more »

Charles Watts
Charles Watts answered on Sep 7, 2021

Based on that, you need to hire an attorney and let them go through your case to determine exactly what has happened, and your best course of action to move forward.

1 Answer | Asked in Constitutional Law and Criminal Law for Oklahoma on
Q: Is it illegal for the the police or investigators to, what I have heard called, go on a “fishing exhibition”?

They had all they needed to arrest the target of an investigation(a drug dealer), but did not, then wiretapped his phone to find out who his associates were and how they are involved with the target all while allowing the illegal activity in order to bust more than the original suspect. I’ve also... Read more »

Charles Watts
Charles Watts answered on Sep 2, 2021

In order for the wire tap to be legal there would have to be a search warrant that set up the specific information be sought. Assuming they have that, then yes it is legal. Having what you need to arrest is a subject is a slippery slope that we wont get into here, because every criminal... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Uncategorized for Oklahoma on
Q: Can a board member vote for themselves when charges are brought against them ?
Charles Watts
Charles Watts answered on Sep 2, 2021

Need more information to answer this question with any remote chance of accuracy.

1 Answer | Asked in Workers' Compensation for Oklahoma on
Q: Negotiated a WC settlement through mediation to include self-administration of Medicare set-aside. Recd letter from atty

today, that they refuse to be part of a settlement where I would self-administer the set aside. They said they would put a lien on the settlement and I could deal directly with opposing counsel. Is this for real?

Charles Watts
Charles Watts answered on Sep 2, 2021

If you hired an attorney and they were working on things for you then you have an agreement with them. In which you most likely signed something saying they get paid and if not they file a lien. So it is probably for real. You need to contact them to discuss things directly.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Family Law, Legal Malpractice and Native American Law for Oklahoma on
Q: Is there is remedy or justice available out there other than Legal Aid for people who have been screwed over

I know Ive heard of Pro Bono but does that service even exists - I was represented by a legal aid attorney recently and I would have been better off representing my self.

Anna L Self
Anna L Self answered on Sep 1, 2021

Most pro bono attorneys are referred cases that Legal Aid does not have time to handle.

There are very few resources for free legal services other than legal aid unless you are Native American. If you are Native American then you can contact the tribe to see if they have free legal...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Oklahoma on
Q: how would I go about reporting witness bribery

My spouse is being called into a retrial on her rapists conviction. The defendant is a family member and on behalf of said defenndent, his mother (aka her grandmother) has promised cars phones and housing as a way to get her to say that nothing actually happened.

Anna L Self
Anna L Self answered on Aug 31, 2021

Report it to the DA that is prosecuting the rapist.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Contracts for Oklahoma on
Q: Can someone from out of state put a lien on our property for money he invested with no contract?

Had a guy that wanted to help us start our small business and invested some money but refused a contract. The business didn't play out the way he wanted after 7 months and wants all his money back. We hadn't made anything so se sold the assets he bought and sent him the money but is now... Read more »

Anna L Self
Anna L Self answered on Aug 31, 2021

Usually, someone has to have a judgment to place a lien on your property when there is a dispute over money. In order to obtain a money judgment he would need to file a lawsuit and serve you with it. You would have the right to defend the suit and the Judge would determine if you owe him money or... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Oklahoma on
Q: What is the typical bond for knowingly recieving or posessing stolen property in oklahoma

Has been in trouble before but not for this offense

Tracy Tiernan
Tracy Tiernan answered on Aug 30, 2021

That charge, generally categorized as a lower level felony theft crime, is usually between $1000 and $5000. Of course it depends on the Judge and any previous contacts and history with law-enforcement.

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption for Oklahoma on
Q: Can my boyfriend adopt my child?

My child's dad hasn't seen him since Father's day and has talked to him 3 times since then over facetime. He was talking about moving so I brought up to my boyfriend about adopting my child. My child loves him like a dad and my boyfriend loves him like his own. We also are having a... Read more »

Charles Watts
Charles Watts answered on Aug 29, 2021

Short answer, no. In order for him to adopt then you would have to be married and file a step-parent adoption. Contact an adoption attorney to fully explain things.

2 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Oklahoma on
Q: If a land owner gave me permission to remove a car from his property can the owner file charges on me

My father passed away in January and left my brother as executor of a trust. He got greedy and kept everything except an old classic car my father was storing in his friends garage. It’s been almost 8 months and the friend told me if my brother didn’t come get the car to just take it. Now my... Read more »

Charles Watts
Charles Watts answered on Aug 29, 2021

Contact a attorney in person to discuss the specifics of your case. There seems to be a lot of moving parts in your case and you need to have good representation.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Employment Discrimination, Employment Law and Legal Malpractice for Oklahoma on
Q: Hello! I run a small business in OK teaching out of a home and am needing to let an employee go. I need help legally!

If the employee signed an at-will agreement, does that mean I can let them go without explanation? The reason is bc they are causing dissent among staff but there is no real way to prove it. I cannot say they are lying without proof but we know they are due to other facts. Can we fire them for... Read more »

Charles Watts
Charles Watts answered on Aug 29, 2021

Regardless of good cause or not, you can still be sued. That doesn’t mean the other person will win but you still have to defend it. As far as Oklahoma is concerned we are an at-will state meaning you can terminate an employee at will, so long as it does not fall under the discrimination... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law, Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Oklahoma on
Q: I am looking for a Pro-Bono Oklahoma Unemployment Lawyer or Employment lawyer for a appeal decision from BOR.

Even if it is just a free consultation, please contact me. This is a timely matter and I am requesting help. thank you for listening.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Aug 28, 2021

An Oklahoma attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for a week and you say that time is of the essence. Here on Justia, this comes up:

Legal Aid Services of Oklahoma Inc.

(405) 557-0020

2915 N Classen Blvd, Ste 500

Oklahoma City, OK 73106...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody for Oklahoma on
Q: If I have filed within the court to terminate guardianship of my minor child has been signed by the judge can i pick up

Juge signed can i pick up my daughter

Anna L Self
Anna L Self answered on Aug 27, 2021

You don't say whether there has been a hearing or not. Normally when you file to terminate guardianship there is a court hearing after the Motion to Terminate is filed and notice is given to the party that is the current guardian. However, if the current guardian has signed their approval to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Oklahoma on
Q: Can I file a motion to reconsider from motion for enforcement was denied??

Since the day of denied hearing she has stopped following orders visitation being the important one

Pete David Louden
Pete David Louden answered on Aug 26, 2021

Did you try to represent yourself at the hearing or did you have an attorney?

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Civil Rights for Oklahoma on
Q: Judge transfers an emergency protective order to another county then sets a court date for a review is that an error?

At a final hearing for a protective order Judge didn't give defendant a chance to present a defense or challenge personnel jurisdiction for no service. Upon learning that there was a custody case pending involving same two parties an order transferring the continued emergency protective order... Read more »

Anna L Self
Anna L Self answered on Aug 26, 2021

Judges always combine the PO hearing with the pending family law case. Why did you show up to the hearing if you were not served? If you appear at the hearing you submit yourself to jurisdiction of the Court usually. The Judge will probably strike the 90 day review. They set review hearings so... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Oklahoma on
Q: I filed Foreign judgement paperwork in AR and is now filed with case number. What is my next step before filing contempt
Anna L Self
Anna L Self answered on Aug 25, 2021

You should ask this in the Arkansas forum as Arkansas law would control as to the next step.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Collections for Oklahoma on
Q: Can a bogus check from 15 years ago that was 66 dollars be brought up now and i dont even remember writing it

In oklahoma

Anna L Self
Anna L Self answered on Aug 24, 2021

Whether you remember the check or not is irrelevant. However, if the bogus check was from 15 years ago and they have made no efforts to collect (lawsuit, garnishment, etc.) then they would be past the statute of limitations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.