Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Libel & Slander Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Libel & Slander and Native American Law for Oklahoma on
Q: they sold my deceased families land & oil & gas minerals without me lnowing and without my consent!

i have to pay everything back for mentioning someone who i caught in my properties. i never whistleblowed.i never wanted to sell proprties now what do i do?

James Tack Jr
James Tack Jr answered on Apr 16, 2021

There is not enough information here to answer. You don't say who sold the property and why. You don't say what monies you are having to pay back and to whom. You should assemble all of your documents related to this matter and consult with an attorney to determine what the issues are and... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Civil Rights and Libel & Slander for Texas on
Q: Hello I'm in need of a lawyer to help me fight for DEFAMATION , LIBEL, SLANDER. I have 3 cases with proof , evidence,

Because of this false information I was slandered with public my health is not good. My blood pressure hit the roof. My depression isolates me. I have a eating disorder (obesity) My reputation is ruined and my kids are getting questioned in public. My stress is making my hair fall out. My nerves... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Apr 14, 2021

A Texas attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for a week. I'm sorry for your difficult and painful situation. You could consult with defamation attorneys to discuss whether you have any recourse. Keep in mind that these types of cases are not usually handled like car... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Internet Law and Libel & Slander on
Q: Is it legal for somebody to video tape a private telephone conversation and threaten to distribute it on social media?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Apr 11, 2021

There isn't a state or territory mentioned here. Requirements for consent in recording phone conversations can vary by state. There's no guarantee every question is picked up, but there could be better chances if a state was included. You could repost if you wanted to include a state.... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence, Libel & Slander, Criminal Law and Family Law for Ohio on
Q: In ohio, As a victim of a Aggravated menacing. What do I need to bring and expect in court?
Andrew Popp
Andrew Popp answered on Apr 7, 2021

This depends on what is happening in Court. Is the hearing an arraignment, pretrial, evidentiary hearing, deposition, trial? You can always contact the victim's advocate at the courthouse and they can go through general information with you.

Best of luck.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Personal Injury, Civil Rights and Libel & Slander for Alabama on
Q: What can be done about a liable or slanderous statement involving a crime and the welfare of children?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Apr 4, 2021

An Alabama attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for two weeks. You could reach out to attorneys in your area who handle defamation cases. As a GENERAL matter, these types of cases are not usually handled on a contingency basis like a car accident - which means that regardless of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law and Libel & Slander for Colorado on
Q: When are constant calls from animal control harassment? And what can be done?

My dad has a great Pyrenees Moutain dog. The dog lives outside to protect the chickens. Animal control has come to confirm that he has, food, water, shelter, and updates on his shots. We provided all of this and they said we are good But someone in our neighborhood is constantly calling in about... Read more »

Juliet Piccone
Juliet Piccone answered on Mar 30, 2021

Your dad is being lied to. Have him submit a Colorado Open Records Request (most have a form on their websites) to the law enforcement entity(s) asking for all records of all complaints related to his address for the past year. Those are PUBLIC records and more importantly they are records... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Child Custody, Domestic Violence and Libel & Slander for Florida on
Q: What do I do?!?! This person is trying to ruin me!!!!

My ex wife has filed multiple false allegations against me since 2014, dcf cases, injunctions, and trying to modify child arrangements. Each report says something different, and none of them have gone in her favor meaning I have been lucky enough for a judge not to believe her. This time she is... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Mar 25, 2021

1. The first line of defense I see is for you to go back to the same court that granted your divorce and file a motion to reopen the cases and also file a motion for contempt--citing all of the reasons you gave us here.

2. The second line of defense is to hire a very experienced trial...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Elder Law, Health Care Law and Libel & Slander for California on


Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Mar 18, 2021

You need to speak to a local attorney handling Conservatorships and/or Elder abuse law.

Justia disclaimers below, incorporated herein.

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Texas on
Q: Is the electrician doing the electrical work or contractor/employer the responsible party if it causes injury or damage?

Ex. improperly protected wire causing injury to homeowner. State of Texas. Was told by journeyman that I should refuse to do anything I knew was potentially dangerous or blatantly against code because it was electrician not employer that would be held liable. Thanks

Teri A. Walter
Teri A. Walter answered on Mar 15, 2021

Both the person doing the improper work and the person with the right to control their work may be liable.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Libel & Slander, Personal Injury and Employment Law for New York on
Q: My sister was assaulted on her job by the assistant director of the respiratory department. What should she do?

She is working as a temporary worker at a hospital for an assignment. She was shoved twice and verbally assaulted by the male employee. He was arrested on Friday, but has since been released with no charges per the police. My sister is experiencing trauma from being physically assaulted by this... Read more »

Jonathan R. Ratchik
Jonathan R. Ratchik answered on Mar 15, 2021

Sorry to hear what happened to your sister. If she hasn't already, she should report the incident to her supervisor and request that the other employee be transferred to a different department to reduce the risk that she might run into him again. With regard to bringing a lawsuit against the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Tennessee on
Q: Can I sue for Libel and or defamation of character?

I am being defamed/slandered on social media by my exs wife. Not only has the posts defamed/slandered me it has caused tremendous depression, anxiety, and possibly hurt my reputation. I work for the Public and I rely on the public for business in my industry. I feel the defaming and slander is... Read more »

Bennett James Wills
Bennett James Wills answered on Mar 15, 2021

You would be wise to consult with a defamation attorney local to you. But the answer is generally "yes" you can sue. But you have the burden of proof to prove any case you file.

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Michigan on
Q: Hello, I am being harassed by a former student that seems to be escalating


Michael Zamzow
Michael Zamzow answered on Mar 15, 2021

Not enough information, but there may be civil (such as a PPO) or criminal (such as reporting it to the police) *remedies* you could seek.

2 Answers | Asked in Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for California on
Q: I was attacked and stabbed in a mobile home park. Due too ligjting and security my attacker runs free .

The land owner immediately tried too comtact me threatened top get a restraining order on me.i did not resspond .i wish too get compensation now.

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Mar 15, 2021

you need to write out all the info and make an appointment with a LOCAL PI lawyer to review to see if you have a cause of action.

it would appear that lights and cameras would not have stopped this from happening.

But, it might have led to the arrest

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Libel & Slander for Texas on
Q: What is the best way for a layman to find the right attorney for his or her individual objectives and needs
Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace answered on Mar 14, 2021

One way is to ask the attorney you know for a referral... even if the person you know is the "wrong" type of attorney. For example, if you know an attorney that handles issues in Family Law, that person might be able to give you a referral to a good attorney who practices in an area like... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for New Jersey on
Q: Someone threatened to sue me for therapy cost?

I bought something online. The seller said it's in very good condition but it wasn't the moment it arrived. I asked for a return at the seller's cost which was declined. I was mad and said I would report the dishonest action of the seller, called the seller a scum, and the F word,... Read more »

Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer answered on Mar 10, 2021

I seriously doubt that there will be a lawsuit, but even if there is one, winning it is a completely different story. If a lawsuit is filed, you will be able to retain an experienced civil litigation attorney to send opposing counsel a Safe Harbour letter, citing N.J.S.A. 2A:15-59.1 and Rule 1:4-8... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant, Appeals / Appellate Law, Civil Rights and Libel & Slander for Oregon on
Q: I have an eviction notice to be out the 12th. A sheriff will be here to remove me. I faxed in a motion to vacate today.

I am going to find the paperwork and wright avenue to file a lawsuit against the manager for harassment possibly slander and discrimination against a mental disability not providing reasonable accommodations to allow me to get what needed to be done done as well as falsifying accusations documented... Read more »

Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott answered on Mar 10, 2021

I am not clear what you mean by having an "eviction notice" to be out on the 12th. Have you already gone to court and lost, with this Notice being from the court? Or is this the date on the termination of tenancy notice from your landlord? Most courts will not accept filings by fax... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Admiralty / Maritime, Libel & Slander, Civil Litigation and Elder Law for Indiana on
Q: If you fill out a personal check wrong is it a crime? Can someone turn it around and make it a crime?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Mar 10, 2021

If someone made innocent errors in filling out a check, it would not generally be considered crime. If the errors were material and they were deliberately made with the intent to deceive the payee or to deceive the financial institution, those could amount to crimes, depending on applicable... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Employment Discrimination, Employment Law and Libel & Slander for Michigan on
Q: Can I file a lawsuit against someone for defamation of character and discrimination?I have proof ? Accusing me of crime

A supervisor at my old job is accusing me of committing a crime of vandalism on his vehicle, there is no evidence against me but I have messages of him calling me a criminal saying and also telling people it was me who committed the crime of a vandalism act to his vehicle , he even reported my name... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Mar 5, 2021

You probably could take him to court, but unless you have provable damages, I don't know what good it will do. Defamation and any civil claim is different and carries a different burden of proof than a criminal case.

2 Answers | Asked in Health Care Law, Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for Michigan on
Q: Reception at hospital loudly/publicly discussed my medical care, finances, my injury, payment history, and my looks.

They checked me in and I sat in the waiting room with others. They were commenting on how much I paid on my bill that day, how is the hospital would never see another penny, The fact that I was getting fake teeth (previous boating accident facial trauma) and that it wouldn't help anyway, how... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Mar 3, 2021

A Michigan attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for three weeks. I'm sorry for your ordeal. You could continue to await a response, or you could consider reaching out to a local attorney to discuss, also looking into whether any state laws apply here. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Libel & Slander for Kentucky on
Q: if someone sells a home under false pretense can anything be done?

bought a house 60 days ago and since then have come to find we were lied to about everything from the roof to the floor...the house should be condemned instead. the roof leaks,the floor is missing in places and we have been told so what

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Mar 1, 2021

Yes. But One would have to seen the contract for sale and closing documents to properly and thoroughly answer your question. However, you do have recourse.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.