Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Juvenile Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law for Florida on
Q: if im a juvenile in teen court florida can i move to another state and finish my sanctions there with parents permi
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Jan 21, 2022

You would have to ask the judge (by filing a motion) for permission to do so.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Child Support and Juvenile Law for North Carolina on
Q: Can I be forced to continue financially and legally supporting my 18 year old if he's still in high school?

Long story short: He sexually abused my daughter, threatened to kill me over a misunderstanding, has been convicted (juvenile), is on probation in a sex-offender treatment facility for the last year and a half, and will turn 18 March 24th of this year. He already told me he will most likely... Read more »

Angela L. Haas
Angela L. Haas answered on Jan 20, 2022

If you think he will harm your daughter again if he returns, you CANNOT let him back in the home. You may need to contact Child Protective Services, and let them know the situation. Perhaps they can find a foster home for him. Financially, you and his father are still responsible for him. CPS may... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Juvenile Law and Probate for Arizona on
Q: Dad had temporary legal decision making but went to prison my rights fully intact, can I go get my kids from the Stepmom

My rights are fully intact and dad is now in prison and the stepmother is not letting me see or speak to my children can I get the cops and go get my kids

Stephen M Vincent
Stephen M Vincent answered on Jan 17, 2022

I think just showing up and taking the kids would do more harm than good, and most likely, the police aren't going to assist you; they will instead tell you that you need to go file with the Court.

If I were you, I'd file a Petition to Modify Legal Decision-making, Parenting...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Juvenile Law for Ohio on
Q: Hello I'm 15 now and I read about a emancipation I was wondering how I could do that because my parents are to strict

My mom uses my diabetes as a excuse for me not to walk places even though I have a phone if something bad happens then she said if I get a job and buy my own car and get a license she is going to call the police if i go somewhere by car or walk but I would be 16 when I do all this and what would... Read more »

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Jan 4, 2022

Every teen thinks their parents are too strict. But Ohio does not allow a minor to seek emancipation. Emancipation cannot be accomplished by an act of the child alone. Emancipation is generally through the act of the child's parents regarding terminating child support for that child. A... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law and Wrongful Death for Michigan on
Q: Michigan school shooter

In the case of the Michigan school shooter what if the defense argues that the boy had mental health problems and argues that the parents were negligent in not seeking treatment, buying a gun for their teenage son and not notifying the school that he had access to gun? Can the state use the... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Jan 4, 2022

Yes. And that is why each party has his or her own attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law and Municipal Law for Illinois on
Q: Can a court system file charges without a police report?
William Wolf
William Wolf answered on Jan 4, 2022

In short, yes.

Police have the job of investigating cases.

Prosecutors have the job of deciding whether to file charges, on which charges they should be, and whether and how to proceed on them.

There is no legal requirement, despite how unusual that may be, for...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Civil Rights and Juvenile Law for Ohio on
Q: Hi I need major help I live here in Ohio my fiance sister has custody of my daughter she won't see or talk to her on

On Christmas and she begs my sister N law to let her talk to us she cry's every night and she is very emotional deserved child all she wants to do is come home we lost custody due to not having a job and all the other accusations against us was false and we'll I guess my question is do I... Read more »

Anthony C. Satariano
Anthony C. Satariano answered on Jan 3, 2022

What rights you have will have been determined in the legal process in which you lost custody. If you were granted visitation, then you have a right to that visitation. If you were not granted visitation, then you will have to file for visitation.

1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law for Florida on
Q: Under 921.1402 a juvenile gets a sentence review after 25 years?

When does the 25 years start, the day the juvenile gets arrested or sentenced?

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Dec 25, 2021

The statute seems relatively clear; it appears that it starts on the date of sentencing.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Constitutional Law and Juvenile Law for Maryland on
Q: Can I build a handgun at 17 for hunting in maryland?
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Dec 25, 2021

(1) A 17 year old cannot legally possess a handgun in the State of Mayland. You must be 21 or older to possess a handgun.

(2) A handgun is not used for "hunting" -- at least, nobody with any common sense or knowledge of hunting would accept the argument that your possession and...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law, Family Law and Juvenile Law for Minnesota on
Q: Should I file and appeal on a judges ruling regarding the name change of a minor when recipient was not served properly?

The mother of my bfs daughter has been trying to change the last name of his 3yo daughter to her new married name. He first received a letter in the mail regarding this motion in Sept. The letter only indicated the time, date, and virtual hearing link. It was in Oct 2021 and he showed up to find... Read more »

Charles William Michaels
Charles William Michaels answered on Dec 16, 2021

Perhaps an appeal would be proper

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for Illinois on
Q: my 1 son is a xanax addict and has just recently damaged my tv while being on drugs. Can i press charges, hes 17.

He has been a serious addict for over 1 year now. I'm not getting much help and the cops seem to keep giving him a pass on his behavior. He has even caused me to have a nervous breakdown over the summer and ended up in the hospital. He does not want rehab either. He gets sent to the hospital... Read more »

Alexander Ivakhnenko
Alexander Ivakhnenko answered on Dec 13, 2021

You need to immediately get medical and legal assistance for your son. Consult directly with the professionals of your choice.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Juvenile Law for California on
Q: Can I date my gf after I turn 18?

I'm 17 and gonna be 18 in December. Me and my gf started dating in September. She's currently 17 and gonna be 18 in July. We are in a long distance relationship so no sexual physical activity will be happening. Would it be okay for us to continue our relationship after I turn 18?

Jeffrey  Wood
Jeffrey Wood answered on Dec 10, 2021

There is no prohibition to continuing in a non-sexual relationship with your girlfriend. However, if you intend to engage in a sexual relationship, that may be an issue. California Penal Code section 261.5 says it is a crime to have sex if one party is over 18, while the other is 17 or under.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Domestic Violence and Juvenile Law for Michigan on
Q: Can the police make a 14 year old go back to her home, where she says she is being abused? She's at a teen safe-house.

A report has been filed with CPS. Her parents filed a police report when she didn't return home from school. A teenage friend took her to the teen shelter for homeless and run away kids. Her parents and police are there telling her she has to go home with her father, and she's very frightened.

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Dec 10, 2021

Sounds like this is in the hands of the professionals; I would leave it there. If there's a genuine concern, CPS will take appropriate measures. For your sake, do not involve yourself in this situation in a negative way by having her stay with you.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Juvenile Law for Kentucky on
Q: My minor child was Murdered in Louisville, Kentucky on Thanksgiving Day 2021. No notification of Next of Kin

Called the Police Department and Coroner's Office!

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Dec 9, 2021

Very sorry for your loss. How can we help you?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for Kentucky on
Q: What's the punishment for a 13 year old being charged with disorderly conduct?

My son was with a group of kids that were flicking another kids hat at a school dance and it escalated into a physical fight. Even though my son was not involved with the actual physical fight he was seen touching the hat and picking it up when it hit the ground during the fight and walked away... Read more »

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Dec 7, 2021

If he doesn’t have any record, the charge will likely be diverted and ultimately dismissed.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Personal Injury, Animal / Dog Law and Juvenile Law for California on
Q: What liability or waiver do I need in my in-client's-home petsitting contract if my toddler will be with me?

I have been pet sitting for over 15yrs and have a current contract I have been using but now I'm a single mom to a 2yr old who will be with me during pet stays at client's home. I always meet the dog and owner before pet care is provided and bring my kid with me to make sure dog is none... Read more »

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Dec 3, 2021

Make an appt to meet with lawyer to provide more info.

No lawyer should give an answer without more more info and like you have liability.

1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law for Louisiana on
Q: My 17 year old daughter has now decided to move out without my consent (left while I was at work) and I do not know

Where she is living except for with a friend from school. I’ve talked to her a few times so I know she is ok but nothing else. What are my options and who should I contact? I do not want to get into any trouble and shes already missed 4 Unexcused days.

Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux answered on Dec 2, 2021

Call the school principal or counselor and report her as a run away.

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Arizona on
Q: daughter wants disowned from father We are still married concerns her health as future trans patient He won't help

Any advice would be helpful. She has felt this way for years. I believe this is who she/ he is. He does not agree. He will not help her. It has taken a toll on her mentally and physically.

Mike Branum
Mike Branum answered on Dec 2, 2021

Not sure if we are discussing an adult child or a child who remains a minor. I am going to answer assuming this is an adult child. The only thing he is required to do for an adult child is to provide her health insurance information until she reaches age 26 (I believe, I am not an expert on health... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Juvenile Law for Florida on
Q: corroborating evidence. How is it used exactly and what does it consist of. Dependency fl

At the adjudicatory hearing even though I was there at 9am as scheduled, although all other parties were provided with links to attend via voom, I didn’t leave the building till 3:30 that day without seeing the judge and when I asked what was going on the bailiff said I couldn’t speak to the... Read more »

Jane Kim
Jane Kim answered on Nov 28, 2021

Are you talking about a child custody issue? Why don't you repost it under family law. And in any event, clearly you need a lawyer.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for Pennsylvania on
Q: I live in Pennsylvania and my 16 year old son took a bb gun with him to school. Can he get charged.

Someone told the teachers that my son had a bb gun in his locker. Cops were called. Can my son be charged for having a bb gun on school property

Mark Aaron Hinrichs
Mark Aaron Hinrichs answered on Nov 21, 2021

Yes, a number of things can happen, including being charged with several crimes. i suggest you and your retain counsel immediately and do not speak with the police without an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.