Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Consumer Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Michigan on
Q: I have a credit card debt. Credit card company is taking me to court. I am 72. My job ends in 30 days. What options?

The credit card company sent debt to collections. Collections is suing me. The income I receive ends in 30 days. Then only $1700 in Social Security. Advice?

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Jul 27, 2021

You could consult with a bankruptcy attorney; they may say you are "judgment proof" and explain to you what that means for your future.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Personal Injury and Banking for California on
Q: My checking account was cleared by the bank of nearly $9,000.00 for a debt that is not mine. The bank will not return $.

Debt belongs to ex husband. Debt was granted and incurred post divorce by 2 years. Divorced 2015, his alleged debt was applied for in 2017 and (per the ex) . Both myself and my ex have tried prior to this to remove his name from the account but WF gave us a terrible time and couldn’t figure it... Read more »

Yelena Gurevich
Yelena Gurevich answered on Jul 26, 2021

You need to call and speak to a lawyer right away. This is not something you can resolve by posting on this forum. You will likely need to hire an attorney to have this resolved.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Personal Injury for Texas on
Q: I’ve been using this shampoo for years and have a very irritated scalp and now this lawsuit came about. Need help

I have been using J and J shampoo and conditioner for 6 years. I started when I went to college and assumed that my constant itching of my scalp was due to being stressed at college and in my career. My girlfriend showed me that they found formaldehyde in the shampoo and it all makes so much sense.... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jul 26, 2021

A Texas attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for two weeks. I'm sorry for your ordeal. You indicate that you wish to speak with someone. You could reach out to law firms that handle product-based injuries. There's a tab above (Find-a-Lawyer). You could search using that... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Traffic Tickets and Car Accidents for California on
Q: Hello I’m a commercial class a with endorcements today at 10:30am I was in lane 1 right to left traffic

Traffic came to complete stop I had my truck in neutral and left about one car space in front off me so wen traffic started to roll I put it in second gear to take off as I let go off the clutch about 2-3 miles per houre I felt like I pushed something so I stoped from going forward I don’t know... Read more »

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Jul 26, 2021

you are likely to be presumed to have a duty to not move forward until you know that no one is in front of you. If you hit someone in front of you, you will be presumed to be at fault.

there are lawyers who specialize in tickets that I have worked would be worth the...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law and Contracts for Florida on
Q: What can i do if my car was repossessed and sold within 10 days even if i caught up on my owed amount

My vehicle was sold within 10 days of being repossessed for the amount $551 being owed i paid the 551 and a payment but was unaware the dealer already sold my vehicle as they didnt notify me i made more payments afterwards and went to pick it up and they said they sold it already i was never... Read more »

Linda Liang
Linda Liang answered on Jul 25, 2021

After your car is repossessed, your lender must give you written notice that the car is repossessed. The car can then be sold at a public auction or private sale. The lender must give you notice of the auction or private sale date. If they broke the law, they should cut you a deal to make you whole.

View More Answers

3 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy, Consumer Law, Contracts and Foreclosure for Florida on
Q: Civil Defendant insolvent.Does it help to communicate that with Plaintiff so they will not pursue judgement?

What are usual odds for this that Plaintiff drops case since it cant collect ever anyway?

Phillip William Gunthert
Phillip William Gunthert answered on Jul 25, 2021

They will not drop it in all likelihood as they know they can get the judgment if it is legitimate and then hound you and or hold it over you for the next 10-20 years unless you file for bankruptcy. Your best bet is to show up and try to fight them if you have any defenses or if they cannot prove... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Tax Law and Child Support for California on
Q: I paid 2,100 for my son's field trip to washington dc before corna, but they only gave a refund for 1,800 (late corna).

I paid 2,100 for my son's washington dc trip which was before corona started, but they only gave me a refund of 1,800 which was 300 less than what i even paid and said its for the processing fee??? Can i sue them?

Scott Richard Kaufman
Scott Richard Kaufman answered on Jul 25, 2021

Sure, why not?

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Personal Injury and Products Liability for North Dakota on
Q: I literally own these products and have been having hair loss and excessive shedding should I sue do I have a case

I have two shampoos as well as conditioners in my bathroom now I had no idea my hair shedding/ loss was because of these products which are the Johnson Johnson’s shampoos and conditioner I seen where someone is suing them because of the same reasons is this worth me even pursuing I don’t want... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jul 23, 2021

A North Dakota attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. At this point, one option is to reach out to firms dealing with the products you were using. Product liability cases tend to involve extensive research and discovery. A firm that has already looked into or... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Personal Injury and Products Liability for North Carolina on
Q: I have been using J&J product for 2 years now and it had definitely caused me a lot of hair loss, can I sue them?

I’m having issues with my scalp, hair loss (lots of it) doctor visits and etc. knowing this I’m feeling like I have been frauded and taken advantage of.

Lynn Ellen Coleman
Lynn Ellen Coleman answered on Jul 20, 2021

You will need qualified medical expert testimony that establishes the product caused your injury in order to have a good case. Product liability cases are very difficult to handle without a lawyer. I recommend you have a personal consultation with a personal injury lawyer to evaluate your case.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Virginia on
Q: Hi. I was wondering during if I would go to jail for a second theft charge?

my last theft was from 3 years ago and all I had for this new theft charge was a necklace and nothing else.

Bernard Crane
Bernard Crane answered on Jul 19, 2021

Its almost impossible to answer this question in a vacuum. There are too many variables. You say your "LAST" theft charge. You didn't say your "only other" theft charge. If this is your third or more theft charge, there is a higher probaility of at least SOME jail time.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Ohio on
Q: If my vehicle was broken into at an auto repair shop are they responsible for the stolen property?

There was about $750 worth of items stolen out of the vehicle while it was in their possession. They did not lock the vehicle

Hunter G. Cavell
Hunter G. Cavell answered on Jul 17, 2021

I would demand that the repair shop reimburse you, or make a claim on its insurance. They may have a garagekeepers provision for this. The other option is to notify your insurance, and they may reimburse you and seek subrogation. Contact an attorney to talk about drafting a demand letter or... Read more »

4 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation, Consumer Law, Criminal Law and Intellectual Property for Texas on
Q: Can I use the term "law" in my email address title without being a lawyer? Example:

I am a law student and have an email address with the term "law" in it. I am not a lawyer, however, and have never stated that I am. Is it legal for me to continue to use this email address without being a lawyer? Don't I have speech protections so long as I am not actively trying to... Read more »

Omar Darwich
Omar Darwich answered on Jul 15, 2021

best and easiest way to get a proper answer is to just contact your local state bar's ethics hotline

good luck

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Public Benefits for Tennessee on
Q: I was an apprentice for a shop for 3 years and was about to receive my piercing license but the owner and I had a disput

They did not allow me to obtain my license. This was 2011. What do I need to do to obtain my legal license for piercing? I do not want to go through an apprenticeship again since I still hold the knowledge. Hope you can help!

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on Jul 13, 2021

You must contact the Regulatory Agency in Nashville that handles such a License. They are the ones that issue the License.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Collections and Small Claims for Oklahoma on
Q: In the state of Oklahoma can a creditor or a repo man pay somebody to tell them where a car is that's up for repo?
Anna L Self
Anna L Self answered on Jul 13, 2021

I am not aware of any law that would prohibit this so I believe they could.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Civil Rights for New York on
Q: How do I file should I file

I used the tea tree one since it came out. I used to get red patchy areas on my head even sores so I used nioxin and it got a little better but too expensive to I went back to it and all of a sudden my hair was coming out in clumps mind you I believe the first time I saw a dermatologist I believe... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jul 12, 2021

I'm sorry for your ordeal. You could reach out to law firms that handle cases involving injury from dangerous products. You could look under firms that handle product liability and injury cases. Most firms that handle such cases offer free initial consults. See the tab above (Find-a-Lawyer),... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Products Liability for Kentucky on
Q: In the state of Kentucky, how many days does a purchaser have after taking vehicle into their name on title?

The vehicle has been driven since December 2020 but registration and tax bills have come to us after having car for over 7 months.

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Jul 12, 2021

Ten days.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Consumer Law for Louisiana on
Q: Will I lose my liquor license because I accidentally sold to a minor?

I was working overtime and that is when I was set up by undercover cops. I read the I.D month wrong and thought the invalid date was correct.

Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh answered on Jul 12, 2021

Depends on your location and if this is your first offense. My suggestion is that you contact a few criminal defense or an administrative law attorneys in your area, set up a consultation, ask your questions and then decide if you want to hire a lawyer (you should) or try to handle this on your... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy, Consumer Law, Divorce and Admiralty / Maritime on
Q: Please v bass do

Free fire ma v bach do

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jul 12, 2021

Something may have gotten left off your post in uploading. You could try reposting the question. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Entertainment / Sports for New York on
Q: Lost racket at sports club,found by employee, left in their office and then disappeared from there. Can I take action?

I left my racket at a sports club of which I wasn't a member. The coach picked it up and confirmed by email that he had it and had left it in his office. Then the COVID crisis hit so I was unable to visit the club to pick it up. The staff member was furloughed and never returned. Now the club... Read more »

Gregory J. Tarone
Gregory J. Tarone answered on Jul 10, 2021

Yes, you can bring an action for replevin to return your personal property to you. That email acknowledging possession is an indication of having possession of your chattel. Assuming the coach is an employee, the owner of the club is responsible also, so sue them both. If the racket is worth less... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Municipal Law for Oregon on
Q: I'm having a hard time finding a list of contaminates that my City must test our ground water for and how often for each

I am trying to decipher our CCR, and I don't think that our City is testing for everything it needs, and it seems to be missing some information. I need to know if the Health Effects Language must be included or is just the likely source of contamination sufficent and what contaminates need... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jul 10, 2021

An Oregon attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for a week. A starting point could be environmental agencies and public health agencies in Oregon. On the federal level, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency oversees environmental law, but nationwide, state departments of... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.