Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Oklahoma Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents and Traffic Tickets for Oklahoma on
Q: I got a ticket fail to yield out of private drive and it Resulted in someone hitting my car both cars are totaled

Can I get out of the ticket they gave me in Oklahoma

Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh answered on Jan 17, 2022

Your chances of getting out of a traffic ticket increase if you have a traffic ticket lawyer representing you and you had insurance at the time of the collision. Go hire a traffic ticket lawyer and follow his advice. Good luck.

1 Answer | Asked in Products Liability for Oklahoma on
Q: Can I sue if a faulty vehicle USB charger adapter set my motorcycle on fire

Purchased today a charging port that goes on a motorcycle and had it installed according to the instructions by a shop I was riding home and felt my seat get hot and stopped and saw flames and it got too bad too quick I had to wait for the fire department

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jan 15, 2022

An Oklahoma attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for four weeks. It's possible that you could sue, but it might not be the type of case that a law firm would handle on a contingency basis. Product liability cases are instituted for injuries resulting from defective... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law, Personal Injury and Medical Malpractice for Oklahoma on
Q: What about repeated text communications?

from paternal cousin who is going thru an alleged agreed mediated divorce with my maternal second cousin [aka “daughter”] - anything you can do about his narcissistic behavior besides ignore it? Yep. Wrap your head around that one. Lol

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jan 13, 2022

you would want to consult an Oklahoma attorney, but my read would be 1) this is one divorcing person with another--let their attorneys handle it; if they have decided not to use attorneys, be aware that the person texted is getting free information, ammunition possibly. Why stop the flow. (In... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Oklahoma on
Q: My husband got a job at Waffle House and started having an affair with the general manager now he lives with her she ha assaulted me and sends me vulgar messages about what her in my husband do Waffle House has a no fraternizing policy I have contacted Waffle House and informed them of this and I've done nothing is there anything I can do?

Charles Watts
Charles Watts answered on Jan 11, 2022

You cannot force Waffle House to do anything. You, however can file a police report for the assault and harassment against her. Additionally you can file for separation/divorce against your husband if you are not able to reconcile. Good luck to you.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody for Oklahoma on
Q: Any laws in MO against moving to another state with your child before paternity is established?

He got an online DNA test kit after I moved from Missouri to Illinois, and he found out she is his after I moved to Illinois. He still doesn't know I moved, and hes been making threats to try and take me to court to get full custody of her. The courts have no reason to Grant him full custody,... Read more »

Charles Watts
Charles Watts answered on Jan 5, 2022

You will need to post this in the MO and IL forums.

1 Answer | Asked in Uncategorized for Oklahoma on
Q: Can you have a felony and obtain a seller license in the state of Oklahoma?

I am a felon and I'm trying to work at the thunder games and they say I need to obtain a license can I do this?

Charles Watts
Charles Watts answered on Jan 5, 2022

What are you attempting to sell and how long has it been since the felony conviction? More information is required to fully assess your question.

1 Answer | Asked in Uncategorized for Oklahoma on
Q: What makes lawyers better than us in the court why do judges and lawyers say to seek counsel like we are not capable
Charles Watts
Charles Watts answered on Jan 5, 2022

Because, in a lot of cases it is better for you to seek counsel. What often appears like "common sense" may in fact be the opposite of what years of case law and statutes have said. This is where the lawyer and judges may, not always, be more capable in actual knowledge of the law. I... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law, Tax Law, Banking and Business Law for Oklahoma on
Q: I am on a school board for a private school.

Can a parent make a donation to the school (501c3) and then ask for the money back if they move or enroll their child elsewhere?

Charles Watts
Charles Watts answered on Jan 5, 2022

The parent can ask - but there isn't anything requiring the refund. There is no federal law, and most states classify the donation as a gift and therefore no longer the property of the person giving the donation, and thus not required to be returned. However, if the funds were donated with... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Oklahoma on
Q: I have a 16 year old granddaughter in Tampa Florida. She has called me this evening after a fight with her mother.

Her mother told her to pack her bags and get out and she never wants to see her again. I live in Oklahoma. Am I able to go get this child without legal repercussions?

Charles Watts
Charles Watts answered on Jan 4, 2022

Yes and no - or better yet - it depends. Since the child is a resident of Florida you will need to talk to a licensed attorney in Florida to establish a guardianship and then you would be able to bring the child here. But without that in place I would be cautious.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Oklahoma on
Q: My son is currently incarcerated in Norman Oklahoma jail. Who do I contact about him being released to drug rehab.
Tracy Tiernan
Tracy Tiernan answered on Jan 3, 2022

If you haven’t hired a private attorney for him then the Court will likely have inquired as to his financial situation. If he qualifies as indigent, or unable to pay for a private attorney, they would have appointed a public defender. That’s who you need to contact. His attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Oklahoma on
Q: What do I do if I was charged with an illegal substance that I didn't have on my possession?
Tracy Tiernan
Tracy Tiernan answered on Jan 3, 2022

Criminal “Possession” of something is not always as straightforward as one might think. When you are looking at Possession of a controlled dangerous substance (CDS), or drug possession, it is not always the obvious situation where you are caught with the drug in your hand or pocket. It might be... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Defense for Oklahoma on
Q: If i am parked at a stop sign waiting to turn left then switch my blinker to right due to heavy traffic can i turn right

I was at a stop sign, in the middle of the driveway, leaving a private drive with no designated turning lanes when i switched my blinker to turn the opposite direction due to heavy traffic. While waiting to turn another vehicle came from behind up on right hand side of my vehicle in blind spot.... Read more »

Charles Watts
Charles Watts answered on Dec 30, 2021

This is one for the insurance companies to fight out but if you turned into them and they were sitting still then most likely you will be responsible party because you are responsible for your car in movement and making sure to clear obstacles.

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Family Law and Probate for Oklahoma on
Q: Next of Kin laws/probate

My aunt was adopted by my biological grandfather before I was even born. We never believed less than blood relation. In her passing, she has family disputing my relationship; "step" is what they're saying. She may have had a will, but that family has taken several documents from her... Read more »

Charles Watts
Charles Watts answered on Dec 30, 2021

You need to contact an estate/probate attorney as soon as feasible. It may have already been placed into probate or it may not have been. It just depends how aggressive they are and if they have an aggressive attorney. You need someone that can put some time in this since you are out of state. It... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Oklahoma on
Q: The statutes listed on my citation are incorrect, and the fines for speeding I CAN find (title 47s) are 100$ less

They are listed as title 15 violations, (speeding and not carrying DL) my understanding is I can present my valid DL and have that dismissed, but the speeding one is also 100$ more than the statute lists. Can I get it reduced?

Charles Watts
Charles Watts answered on Dec 30, 2021

Depends if it was a municipal, county or state. Municpalities can set their own fee schedules. Additionally if it were in construction zone, school zone or other contributing factors then the fee could be higher as well. You can try to get it lowered but chances are it will cost more to get it... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Tax Law for Oklahoma on
Q: Is there a law or statute that applies to hotels/motel stays and rates after 30 days in regards to taxes ect?
Charles Watts
Charles Watts answered on Dec 30, 2021

In essence the answer is no, but the Oklahoma Administrative Code 710:65-19-143 does spell it out a little.

Hotels, motels, apartments, etc.

(a) The gross receipts from the furnishing of rooms, except meeting rooms, by a hotel, apartment-hotel, cottage camp, or lodging house...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Oklahoma on
Q: Crossing a Street with no proper markings and a vehicle turns down that road and strikes the pedestrian, whose at fault?

Vehicle turned from 4 way road onto a two lane road. Pedestrian was in the middle of the two lane when vehicle struck pedestrian on driver's side of the vehicle. Pedestrian was struck hard enough to lift him off his feet and pitched backwards 10 feet resulting in injury to back(noted later but... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Dec 29, 2021

An Oklahoma attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for four weeks. I'm sorry for your injuries and loss of income. You may have already consulted with an attorney by now. If a law firm felt that you had the basis for a case, they would likely conduct a full investigation.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Criminal Law for Oklahoma on
Q: What can I do if a judge threatens to jail me for not hiring counsel? Denying me the right to a public defender.

I'm homeless with no job. Been trying hard to find a job.

Tracy Tiernan
Tracy Tiernan answered on Dec 24, 2021

This is an incredibly common phenomenon in the criminal court system in Oklahoma and elsewhere. You bonded out …..somehow. It may not have come out of your pocket but it came out of someone’s pocket …your family, or a friend, or an acquaintance that was trying to help you. Now the judge is... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts, Consumer Law and Criminal Law for Oklahoma on
Q: If person buying a car gives you a small amount to hold the car, then doesn't pay the full price did u legally sell it

okay guy wanted to buy an old pickup we had, we agreed to a purchase and he gave me $100 to hold it while he got the money. Instead he came back and just took the truck. I still have the title he did no paperwork. The police said that he didn't steal the car I sold it to him for $100. That... Read more »

David A. Cincotta
David A. Cincotta answered on Dec 23, 2021

It appears you have a few issues that must be addressed. One is whether a crime was committed - which if so the police could enter the vehicle as stolen in the national database. Another is whether you had a valid contract with the purchaser. Third, is whether an actual sale of the vehicle... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Divorce, Domestic Violence and Family Law for Oklahoma on
Q: How do I file emergency injunction against ex who has primary custody to prevent him enrolling child in military school?

My ex husband is neglectful and abusive to our daughter and he's alienated me from my daughter for years. I had no money to get an attorney to enforce the order. Now I an trying to either enter pro se or possibly get an OAR attorney which is done on the sliding scale. I have reported to dHs... Read more »

Charles Watts
Charles Watts answered on Dec 22, 2021

While I can respect your position you need to contact an attorney to assist you with this because this is not something you want to try to do alone. If money is an issue then you may want to contact free legal aid and see if they can help first, but they have a busy workload. Short of that just... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Oklahoma on
Q: Is my marriage invalid if my husband find out he never got a divorce from his first wife?

He went to court to file for a divorce from her and he has gotten remarried.

Charles Watts
Charles Watts answered on Dec 21, 2021

In Oklahoma you can only have one valid marriage ((even if it is a non-ceremonial one — aka common law)). Therefore if a person is married they cannot legally marry another person and it be considered as valid this the marriage that took place while he was already married is null and void. You... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.