Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Juvenile Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law, Libel & Slander and Sexual Harassment for Ohio on
Q: Can I get in trouble for sending nudes to a minor when she said she was 20?

She told me she was 20 then tried to blackmail me into giving her money saying she'd say I was sexting a minor and to leak my nudes.

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams answered on Apr 4, 2022

If she is really a minor, yes. But this is also a common scam.

1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law for Mississippi on
Q: What charge can a minor be charged with for making an insinuation text about someone shooting at school?

The minor (14) was involved in a group text. He sent a message insinuating that his cousin needed to rescue him from school by some method, maybe shooting up the place or something idk. This message was sent to the local sheriff's office by a parent, said minor was questioned where he and the... Read more »

Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon answered on Apr 2, 2022

There are usually some minor cyber crimes that could be associated with this. Assuming that this is the youth's first time in youth court, the punishment should not be severe (if any is given); however, depending on the context and the prosecutor, you may want to consider hiring a private... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Alabama on
Q: I am 18, in highschool graduating in May, I turn 19 in July. Can I move in with my sister to finish highschool without

My parents permission? Ive wanted to move out for years due to the way my mother has treated me. My siblings all got out as quick as they could because of the way she treats us. She is unfit to raise any child and the only reason i never moved out sooner is because the legal process would be long... Read more »

Bettie Carmack
Bettie Carmack answered on Apr 1, 2022

You can contact Legal Services or the volunteer program they likely would be able to offer you legal assistance at no charge. As for school, children generally are required to attend the school in which they are zoned. If your sister lives outside of the school zone, a possible issue could be... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Child Custody, Communications Law and Juvenile Law for Georgia on
Q: am i allowed to record my facetime conversations with my daughter? Mother is an attorney & doesnt consent

Im recording bc mother has accused me of being drunk and slurring words .. so i bought a breathalyzer .. record blowing bf and after i facetime with my daughter .... i have been recording our facetimes bc of accusations ... mother emailed me said she doesnt consent to the recordings citing private... Read more »

Zachary Taylor Beck
Zachary Taylor Beck answered on Mar 31, 2022

No. See O.C.G.A. section 16-11-62. While Georgia is a one-party state, requiring the consent of only one party to a telephone conversation to record that conversation, Georgia requires the consent of all parties to record a video chat (i.e. FaceTime) in a "private place and out of public... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for Ohio on
Q: Can I kick him my 16 year old out?

My 16 year old son is leaving the house and staying gone for days. He will not respond to calls when calling him and is quick to let me know he is grown and dont have to ask permission to leave or answer calls, however I pay his cell phone bill. He's also disrespectful and will often try to... Read more »

Raquel Ann Parish
Raquel Ann Parish answered on Mar 31, 2022

Under the Ohio Revised Code a minor child cannot simply apply to a court for emancipation. Generally, a parent must support a minor child until age 18, or beyond age 18 if the child attends high school on a full-time basis, is incapable of being self-supporting due to disability or if parents... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Kentucky on
Q: Do I have to move in with my dad if I don't want to?

I'm in foster care and I'm 16; I'm happy in my foster home. I really don't want to live with my dad as I have once before and it was terrible. If he goes to court to get custody of me will I be asked if I want to beforehand? Will my voice be heard when I say no? I want to stay... Read more »

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Mar 24, 2022

No. You should ask the court to appoint you you own attorney to consult and speak on your behalf. He can let the court know your position.

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Education Law, Internet Law and Juvenile Law for Ohio on
Q: If I record someone making a bomb threat in a school. Do I (the recorder) get first degree telecommunications harrass?

I recorded someone making a bomb threat in a class room and posted it. I am now being charged with the first degree misdemeanor telecommunications harassment. Am I guilty of this charge? I did not say anything in the video at all. I was also suspended 5 days for Filming. I am a minor by the way.... Read more »

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams answered on Mar 25, 2022

Your guilt or innocence here turn on your intent. If you were a party to making the threat, that is, if you made the video with the intention of helping this other person communicate their threat, then yes, you are guilty of telecommunications harassment. If you made the recording with the... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Juvenile Law for California on
Q: How do I sue human welfare services for violating my rights and also not following procedures via penal codes
Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi answered on Mar 23, 2022

The first thing you need to do is find a good lawyer. This service does not do that. Here, you can get simple legal questions answered. Your question is neither simple, nor does it include sufficient factual detail to arrive at a reasonable legal opinion of your possible case.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for Oklahoma on
Q: I want to get emancipated and I'm not sure of the process. How can I get emancipated without parent consent in Oklahoma?

I'm 16, I'm transgender (trans masc enby) and my parents are threatening to kick me out because of it. It's taking a toll on my mental health and I feel I would be better off living on my own as a legal adult. I want to be able to be myself, get my mental health in order, and keep a... Read more »

Evan Humphreys
Evan Humphreys answered on Mar 16, 2022

I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. Emancipating is a difficult process and one that is not often used. It requires a "next friend" (an adult who will not work against your interests) to file a petition in court and give notice to your parents. The judge will decide at a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for Virginia on
Q: When convicted of a violent felony as a minor, how do you go about expunging your records? Is it automatic? (Virginia)

We are in virginia. my partner was convicted of a violent felony as a minor (he was 17 at the time). he just turned 21 this year, so we were curious if he would need to petition the courts to have the records sealed/expunged… or if this is something the state will do automatically?

some... Read more »

Susan Fremit
Susan Fremit answered on Mar 14, 2022

A felony conviction in VA cannot be expunged. When a juvenile is convicted of a violent felony, under current law, it is never sealed, unlike the usual process for juvenile records.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Family Law and Juvenile Law for Florida on
Q: How do I terminate permanent guardianship? Child is uncontrollable because birth mother is encouraging bad behavior! Etc

He’s bullying 93 yr old in home causing my 5yr old grandson I’ve adopted to break down. He’s refusing to do schoolwork stealing taking off etc. I’ve called many agencies only to get one offering referral for counseling. This child needs a one on one situation that I can’t provide. I’m... Read more »

Michael Ferrin
Michael Ferrin answered on Mar 14, 2022

You would need to file a motion to terminate the guardianship. I would highly recommend that you contact an attorney to assist you if this is what you want to do. If you can, it would be best if you could find someone else to take over the guardianship of the child and that way you can file a... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Traffic Tickets and Juvenile Law for Louisiana on
Q: If you go to arranment and plead not guilty can the judge tell you to instead talk to the da instead

My 18 yr old son& a friend were in a 1car wreck hit a culvert. The police came to seen both boys where out of car. Driver failed breathalyzer was placed under arrest. Then they turn to my son& give him 2 tickets one for no seatbeltthen then minor in position of alcohol catch is there was... Read more »

Richard W. Noel
Richard W. Noel answered on Mar 8, 2022

it's pressure from the prosecutor to settle the case early. Yes, it's legal. But not fair. Unfortunately your son needed to speak with an attorney who could review all of the facts available and help mount a good defense. Simply pleading NOT GUILTY and telling the DA you'd consider... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Child Support and Juvenile Law for Louisiana on
Q: Can custody and child support be heard in two different parish courts? when there's a court order of domicile parent.

In September 2019, I was rewarded domicile parent in 19th JDC. My child mother was rewarded of visitation every other weekend. on same day of render judgement, the excise on the judgement began. My child mother kidnapped my child and never return the minor child. when she had illegal custody of... Read more »

Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux answered on Mar 2, 2022

Your attorney can file for child support in your custody case in 19th JDC and can file an exception in 24th JDC to child support since you are domiciliary parent.

1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law for Louisiana on
Q: can a 16 year old date someone that is 18 and can they do anything sexual or would i have have to be 17

i will be 5 months away from turning 17

Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux answered on Feb 28, 2022

You need to:

1) wait 5 months,

2) get a guardasil shot,

3) get on birth control.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Adoption, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Nevada on
Q: Hi,I have a step son and he has 2 last names. Taylor-O’Neill.Which name would be used as his last name, e.g in school?

We agreed on the hyphenated last name so the mother was happy, but overall we wanted him to have his dads last name(O’Neill). Was it wrong how we hyphenated it. Is the first last name what places,business, etc go by? Thank you.

Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo answered on Feb 28, 2022

if the legal name is hyphenated, the entire hyphenated name should be used as his last name.

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption, Civil Rights, Federal Crimes and Juvenile Law for California on
Q: My daughter was fraudulently freed for adoption and thus fraudulently adopted. What can I do to recover her?
Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi answered on Feb 22, 2022

There is a whole lot of information missing. You need to start at the beginning and tell your whole story if you want to get any reasonable response. It must be a long and complicated story, but if you want help you'll need to tell it.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Juvenile Law and Sexual Harassment for Louisiana on
Q: I have a friend (15yr female) who has been sexually abused and recently choked by a peer (18yr male). What can I do?

I(18yr, British) have found out that a friend of two years (15yr, New Orleans) has been assaulted multiple times by a male peer, first by non-consensual kissing and groping, and more recently through choking, my friend is young and mentally ill (ADHD and a pre-existing ward visit). I've been... Read more »

Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux answered on Feb 19, 2022

Contact law enforcement, her guardian and her school.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Alabama on
Q: I'm a maternal Grandmother and had custody of two of my Grandsons since birth. They said I was neglecting and endangerin

The boys and I were a quarter mile away from home in a parked vehicle. I was told I was neglecting and endangering thier lives. I've had no contact in over a year. Thier mom will not complete the program to get them back. How can I get them home?

Bettie Carmack
Bettie Carmack answered on Feb 18, 2022

Was there a court order awarding you custody of your grandsons? If so, was that order modified when there were allegations of neglect. What was the outcome of the allegations of neglect and endangerment? You would need to contact an attorney to advise you on your chances of getting custody of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Personal Injury and Juvenile Law for Minnesota on
Q: I’m 17 and my sister 19 and we just got into a fight. I’m in my first trimester and she doesn’t know that. Who’s wrong

We were in the street I got dragged out. She hit me first and defended myself. I’m very petite and I’m sister is strong and bigger and has the upperhand. She got a bump on her head i got scratch marks on my side and knee. My hair was pulled and I had stuff in the car I couldn’t get to, the... Read more »

Jonathan Matthew Holson
Jonathan Matthew Holson answered on Feb 16, 2022

You certainly have a legal right to defend yourself and your unborn child. It seems like you might have some exposure of being charged with a 5th Degree Assault. That is a misdemeanor unless you have prior assault convictions. You need an attorney. You should either hire a private attorney or... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for Ohio on
Q: I’m 18 in high school living in Ohio full time 30k a year job can I legally move out to my own place?
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Feb 10, 2022

An 18 year old is no longer a minor and is legally considered an adult, and can enter into contracts, leases, etc. But a landlord might not want to rent if a tenant doesn't have a credit history showing good credit.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.