Collections Questions & Answers

Q: If I have not received a summons to appear in court do I need to go?

1 Answer | Asked in Collections and Small Claims for Florida on
Answered on Mar 25, 2019
Barry W. Kaufman's answer
There is no requirement that you appear if you have not been served.

Q: one loan was almost paid off it was $962 the other loan was for 15,000 for a car there were separately loans

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Consumer Law, Collections and Elder Law for Tennessee on
Answered on Mar 23, 2019
Timothy Denison's answer
Hire a lawyer and file suit to block the sale and recover the money.

Q: My husband passed in 09 and I just found the paperwork for his flight school he paid $30Th. But had only started

2 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Collections for California on
Answered on Mar 22, 2019
William John Light's answer

Q: I lost a Civil Law suit with about 141k awarded to the other person. Can they come after my 401K to collect?

3 Answers | Asked in Collections and Bankruptcy for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Mar 20, 2019
W. J. Winterstein Jr.'s answer
If your 401k is a "qualifying plan" (i.e., meets the requirements of Section 401(k) of the Tax Code), then your 401k plans should be exempt from execution.

Your judgment creditor may nonetheless attempt to levy on your 401(k) account, and you will need to file written objections to that execution, claiming the exemption, with the Sheriff to whom the writ of execution issued. Don't delay in the filing of objections, as I believe you have only ten days to do so.

Have you...

Q: I'm looking for the best course of action to collect on a judgement issued by a magesterial court in Cambria County.

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Mar 18, 2019
Peter N. Munsing's answer
if you don't want to consult a lawyer, then assuming the time for them to appeal has run, go for a writ of execution with a wage loss attachment if they are working--that way you get the money, not an item that then has to be sold. The Sheriff's office for the county should help you.

Q: Can a credit card company take your home if they file a judgment against you in the state of South Carolina

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Collections for South Carolina on
Answered on Mar 18, 2019
D. Nathan Davis' answer
The answer is a little dificult because the answer can change based upon the facts. The creditor must first sue and obtain a judgment against you. Once the judgment is obtained, it becomes a lien against the property for 10 years. Most of the time the creditor is not going to do any more than this. Since the judgment is a lien against the property, you cannot sell or mortgage the property unless you resolve the judgment by obtaining a release of the property or paying off the judgment....

Q: Can a merchant set a minimal payment requirement on a debit card?

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Business Law and Collections for Florida on
Answered on Mar 11, 2019
Adam Savett's answer
It's probbaly not illegal for the store to try and set a minimum for debit card purchases, but it most likely violates the rules they agree to with Visa or MasterCard. But, swiping the card for more than the purchase amount and then telling the customer after the fact might very well be considered a deceptive practice, and that might violate Florida's consumer protection law.

MasterCard says:

"MasterCard does not permit merchants to set a minimum transaction amount to accept...

Q: What happens if I don't pay some medical bills I can't afford? Can I just ignore them?

2 Answers | Asked in Collections for Michigan on
Answered on Mar 11, 2019
Trent Harris' answer
Medical bills are unsecured debt. If they are not paid, you can be sued and a judgment can be entered against you. A judgment creditor has a number of remedies, including garnishing wages, tax refunds and bank accounts, seizing property, putting liens on real property you own, and requiring you to come to court for creditors examinations under oath. It sounds like the advice you were given was not good advice. If the bill is yours, you will need to find a way to deal with it. I would not ignore...

Q: $2,045.34 in rent paid by my debit card. Only had $1,820.28 available-Leaving a deficit of $225.06. Is this criminal?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Banking, Collections and Landlord - Tenant for Georgia on
Answered on Mar 8, 2019
Ecleynne Mercy's answer
In Order to answer this Question, the attorney will need to see the actual Lease and any conversations you have with the landlord. It may be in your best interest to talk to an attorney to see what provisions are in your lease.

Q: How do I sue for unpaid wages

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Collections for North Carolina on
Answered on Mar 8, 2019
Paige Kurtz's answer
At this point, you should consult with an attorney for your options in pursuing the balances that you claim are due to you. An attorney will need more detail and will need to review any documentation that you have.

Q: My exhusband contacted our town government office and had my water/sewage bill switched to his name without me knowing.

1 Answer | Asked in Collections, Gov & Administrative Law and Municipal Law for Michigan on
Answered on Mar 8, 2019
Trent Harris' answer
What your ex-husband did doesn't sound right. A person who isn't on a lease for property, or an owner, generally shouldn't be able to change the name on the account. Have you talked to the town about getting it fixed?

Despite the bill being in his name, you may still owe the money if you don't want your water turned off. I would speak to the town office to get the bill fixed, and you may very well have to pay the past-due balance because it was for services you used. If you had to pay...

Q: I live in horror county Sc. Sheriffs judgment $2,200 against me. From a personal loan

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Civil Litigation and Collections for South Carolina on
Answered on Mar 3, 2019
D. Nathan Davis' answer
A judgment is a finding by a court that you owe money to someone. If you have assets, the sheriff can levy against the assets to collect the judgment. Based on what you are saying about assets and income, you probably qualify for legal aid.

The sheriff will ask you to pay the judgment, however, you can tell the sheriff that you cannot pay the debt. You have exemptions under South Carolina law that probably protect all of your assets against a collection. Wages cannot be garnished...

Q: I received a letter from an attorney stating I am being sued by a debt collector, but I have not yet been served.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Collections for Michigan on
Answered on Mar 1, 2019
Trent Harris' answer
If the suit was filed properly in state court, it should be filed in the county in which you live. Call the district court and the circuit court for your county, and ask if a lawsuit has been filed against your name. Or, if the county where you live has an online site where you can search court records, you could find out that way. If the suit has been filed in federal court, then it would be for the Eastern or Western District of Michigan federal court, depending on the county you live in....

Q: I have been served papers to appear in court for an outstanding medical bill.

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy and Collections for Georgia on
Answered on Feb 27, 2019
Kevin M Rogers' answer
If you have been "served" a Summons to Appear, you must appear. The only thing you could do at this point is notify the Clerk of the Court and notify them that you have filed bankruptcy and see if this obviates the need to appear. Otherwise, you must appar or risk being held in court.

Q: I received a copy of a Request for Entry of Default Judgement filed by an equipment leasing company. How do I respond?

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Civil Litigation and Collections for California on
Answered on Feb 25, 2019
Vernon Charles Tucker's answer
If you received a Request for Entry of Default you are in a tough position.

This means service has been effectuated upon you and your responsive pleading was already due by now.

The defendant has now requested a default to be entered against you and this will happen unless you file a responsive pleading BEFORE the default is entered. I don't want to give you false hope so unless the default is rejected you have lost the opportunity to respond. You are now in a default position...

Q: Should I go to court, pay what the collection company wants me to pay, or file bankruptcy?

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy, Civil Litigation, Collections and Contracts for Michigan on
Answered on Feb 22, 2019
Trent Harris' answer
No one can answer this question for you, or suggest an answer for you, without sitting down with you to talk specifics about all the things you mentioned in your question. You should call a bankruptcy lawyer and ask to set up a consultation.

Q: Need him to collect the IRS refund for Deceased husband.

1 Answer | Asked in Collections and Tax Law for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Feb 20, 2019
Linda Simmons Campbell's answer
I suggest that she call the Taxpayer Advocate in her area. She can look up the number at the following link

They will help her submit the correct paperwork. If that does not work she can try a low income taxpayer clinic in her area but the taxpayer advocate will probably be quicker.

Q: I was served a process of garnishment today for a judgement that is dated 11/12/2008.

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Alabama on
Answered on Feb 20, 2019
Kevin M Ryan's answer
Alabama judgments are enforceable for ten years, and can be revived (renewed) before ten years are up, but they can only be enforced for 20 years. After 20 years, Alabama judgments become worthless

Q: Is there a statute of limitations in Oregon for an attorney to collect unpaid attorney fees from a previous client?

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Collections for Oregon on
Answered on Feb 18, 2019
Gregory L Abbott's answer
Assuming there is no Judgment against you that is trying to be collected upon, you may well have a 6 year statute of limitations, running from your last partial payment or last legitimate charge on your bill. IF it truly is past the statute of limitations, and you are being harassed by a collection agency, you may have claims for unlawful debt collection practices. The only real way to know much is to simply gather everything and review it all with a local collections or consumer law attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.