Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Education Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Education Law for Maryland on
Q: The Maryland CCU grabbed my 2020 tax refund for tuition I owed in 2003 from community college. Can they do that? JO
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Jun 24, 2021

Yes. Maryland can seize tax refunds for debts owed to the state. The CVU is the collection department of the state.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Education Law for New Jersey on
Q: I'm looking for help with my daughter's virtual high school attendance...

She was given a school-issued Chromebook in September, when she started high school. Due to the pandemic, I kept all 3 of my kids virtual. Her particular Chromebook would not stay connected to my home wifi and she would use her personal laptop to log into school. On the days she used her laptop,... Read more »

Amber Forrester
Amber Forrester answered on Jun 21, 2021

You didn’t specify, but if you’ve got a court date, I assume you (and your daughter) are facing a truancy charge. That can be treated as a disorderly persons offense (NJ’s term for misdemeanor), and while the fine is low, it’s still not something you’d want to have on your background,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law for Florida on
Q: My parents donated a stain glass window in memory of their son to a private high school where he graduated from.

It was to be placed in the school's chapel which it was. The school built a new chapel and the stain glass window remained in the old chapel which is now used for a study hall. Can my family ask for the window since it no longer is where it was specified to be placed.

Thank you - Bob M

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Jun 16, 2021

Your family can, of course, ask, but unless the donation was conditional you couldn't enforce your request.

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Personal Injury and Education Law for New York on
Q: Seeking attorney for physical child abuse that happened to myself as a child by elementary school administrators.
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jun 11, 2021

I'm very sorry this happened to you. If you're seeking an attorney, it might be more productive to use the Find-a-Lawyer feature above. The Q & A format here is unlike an attorney referral service, where an attorney would come forth to offer services. The format here is instead geared... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Medical Malpractice, Personal Injury, Child Custody and Education Law for Virginia on
Q: medical malpractice, failing to give proper diagnosis

As a Single Mother of 4 children who all have lifetime disabilities including myself. Lets start with Myself. I was finally approved from the SSA with having a diagnosis of OCD, Bi Polar II disorder, PTSD, Depression, Social Anxiety, Other mood disorders, Autism spectrum disorder and Schizophrenia.... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jun 7, 2021

A Virginia attorney could respond best, but your post remains open for two weeks. You provided lots of detailed information. In reading your post, it looks like the central issue is eligibility of your son for a Special Education program... and a misdiagnosis was involved. If that is correct, one... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law and Family Law for Florida on
Q: Can I move out at 18 to do I need to graduate High School first?

My name is and I have a couple questions regarding my current and future living situation. I will be 18 soon but will still be a senior in high school, can I leave my parents house when I turn 18, or would I have to wait until I graduate to move out. My parents are both mentally and physically... Read more »

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Jun 4, 2021

When you turn 18 you will be an adult, and therefore able to move out whether or not you are still in school.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Education Law for Florida on
Q: was the exam for MFT in NJ for 1988 considered a national or state exam

i am applying for fl license as a MFT and they are not sure if the exam was a state or national exam. Please help!!!!

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Jun 4, 2021

I have no idea what MFT means. If you took it in New Jersey, I would guess you should ask you question in Justia > Ask a Lawyer > New Jersey. If you mean "Marriage and Family Therapist"(, it would be a state exam.

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law for California on
Q: Are there ever exceptions to EDC 49066? does a teacher always have to be present in all discussion relating to the grade

A teacher has displayed incompetence as well as a multitude of inappropriate attitudes such as intimidation. Does this teacher have to be included in all discussions relating to the changing of the grade? Are there scenarios where this doesn't apply? Can the teacher be included in the... Read more »

David German
David German answered on May 29, 2021

Although a teacher must be given an opportunity to offer comment and evidence in support of their grade, the actual grade appeal process often proceeds completely through written submissions. It isn't necessarily the case that you will have to present your side of the story in a face-to-face... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law for New York on
Q: An allegation of Academic Integrity made against me. What should I do?

I'm a student at a CUNY college and during this Spring semester I took 5 classes and most, if not all, had math-related topics. I was able to manage keeping a good grades for all but one class, Linear Algebra. I had a decent grade on my first exam, I studied for the second midterm, which was... Read more »

Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel answered on May 28, 2021

This is a serious matter. Having admitted to cheating, you have few options. You must not admit to anything again, and find a way out of this that does lead to expulsion.

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law, Health Care Law and Juvenile Law for Oklahoma on
Q: How much trouble can a 17 year old girl get from runaway from home in Oklahoma

Let say a 17 year old girl runaway from home cause her home is toxic and she can’t handle everyone around making her feel like the bad guy and that the girl has mental health issues that are being neglected or ignored

Pete David Louden
Pete David Louden answered on May 27, 2021

I see that many teenagers describe their home as toxic, not enough freedom, controlling parents, or any one of a long list of other grievances. So, that part is not uncommon.

However, if there legitimately is abuse and/or neglect and this is not just a disgruntled teenager, this should be...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Education Law for New York on
Q: I live in NYS and have just bought a house w my bf in a great school district, in a safe neighborhood. His ex wife lives

25 min from us, and demands that he goes to school where she lives. She lives in a high crime area and very low standard school district. We split 50/50 custody. We would like to have their son go to school where we live, where a parent is home 24/7, so no daycare is needed before or after school.... Read more »

Lawrence Allen Weinreich
Lawrence Allen Weinreich answered on May 27, 2021

It is difficult to answer the question without seeing any agreements the parties signed as part of their divorce and the judgment of divorce. However all things being equal, if the matter was brought before a court, there is a good chance that the court would allow the child to go to school in... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence, Criminal Law and Education Law for Arkansas on
Q: Why was I sited for violating a no contact order when I was welcomed back into the supposed victims household?

I stayed with the supposed victim for an extended period of time before openly admitting to law enforcement over phone contact of my welcomed return which was also my home,as I was the son and primary care provider to my mother in said household. Also, my mother is in irreversible dimentia. My... Read more »

Taylor Douglas Martin
Taylor Douglas Martin answered on May 20, 2021

Regardless if the contact is welcomed or not, a no contact order is a court order forbidding one to contact a certain person. Typically, a Judge views contact as contact regardless of the circumstances. However, a capable defense attorney should be able to bring the circumstances to the attention... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Education Law for Ohio on
Q: Ohio code 2967.01 definition of a convict in the law itself on the Ohio legislative website at the end of the paragraph

And then states that unless they have been pardoned done there sentence or served there time out? Could you please read that paragraph

Andrew Popp
Andrew Popp answered on May 19, 2021

The statute is pretty clear. I'm not sure what your asking. I suggest rephrasing to address the ultimate issue you are trying to figure out. Restoration of rights? Firearm issues? Voting? etc.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Criminal Law, Education Law and Constitutional Law for Ohio on
Q: Could you give me a definition on the Ohio law revised code 2967.01 3/22/19 the definition of convict paragraph?

It's in the definition says unless the convict has served the president's sentence or prison terms or is pardoned or completed the community sanction program? So if I'm understanding that correctly the unless means that once you are finished so all privileges should be restored... Read more »

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams answered on May 19, 2021

The definition of convict in R.C. 2967 is any person convicted of an Ohio felony whether or not they went to prison but not including people who were pardoned or have finished serving their sentence. In other words, convict means any person either in prison for a felony, in jail for a felony, or... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Education Law for Florida on
Q: Can a college deny a student from completing schooling until the tuition fee is paid in full?

I’ve submitted an email requesting a leave of absence and attempted to get a deferral from the lender which they declined. Now I would like to re-enroll and they are denying me a chance to finish the program until I pay I pay off the current balance, the lender also increased the amount that I... Read more »

Linda Liang
Linda Liang answered on May 13, 2021

Whether it is ethical or it is breach of contract, you must revisit the agreement you signed with the school when you first enrolled. You should bring a copy of the agreement and consult an experienced contract attorney.

Q: I’m a teacher, and the administration gave out my number to a student without my permission. What should I do?

The student contacted me and I blocked them right away.

Joel Friedman
Joel Friedman answered on May 2, 2021

My practice is limited work injury cases, a specific part of employment law. Your concern appears to be an issue of employment privacy and it is not something I am able to provide advice. I suggest you look for an attorney whose practice is more directly employment law, if you do not hear back... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law and Small Claims for Virginia on
Q: Can I take legal action against my school?

My college sent me an email with a balance back in December 2020. I have emailed them and never received a response even when I tried to make a payment. I was sent to collections and started receiving phone calls this month constantly. I have emailed my college and they claim to have never received... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on May 1, 2021

A Virginia attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for a month. One could only speculate as to why the university is not responding to you. One reason could be (and this is only a guess) that once they send a matter to collection, they will stay clear - where the only line of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law and Personal Injury on

The teacher at my son's school explained that before the lesson he found a broken chair. He put it at the back of the class, with a note that says broken chair, He also told the learners about the char and told them they MUST stay away. did not listen and sat on the chair. He rode on the chai... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Apr 28, 2021

I'm sorry for your son's accident. This could make for a tough case, given the measures the teacher took to warn the students. A state or region is not listed here, but you could reach to attorneys in your area to discuss in more detail. In these types of settings, jurors could take into... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Education Law for Arizona on
Q: My husband and I have a dispute about which school to send our child to. What happens in terms of legal matters?

If no one is willing to compromise, what will end up happening in terms of the law?

Mike Branum
Mike Branum answered on Apr 23, 2021

The first thing to do is review your divorce decree and/or child custody order. If one parent has sole legal custody, that parent decides where the child goes to school. This would be unusual. Joint legal custody is the norm. In some instances, however, a decree or order will indicate that the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Education Law for Ohio on
Q: Can my school punish me for being Tarty because I had an allergic reaction?
Andrew Popp
Andrew Popp answered on Apr 22, 2021

This is a difficult question to answer. Is it a private or public school? What type of punishment are you talking about? It seems like the tardiness would be excusable. Is there some sort of appellate process? Depending on what's going on it may or may not be worth the costs of hiring an... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.