Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Rhode Island Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Rhode Island on

Q: My father is selling his mobile home, agreed on a price, inspection came back and told he needs to deduct $800?

My dad agreed to the $26,000 someone offered him, inspection came back with deficiencies and my dad was told he needed to deduct $800. My dad doesn't want to sell now based on the $800 deduction, but the real estate agent told him he has to sell it or he will get sued. Is this true? My dad... Read more »

Andrew Bilodeau answered on Jun 12, 2019

If the agreement was for $26,000 your father should receive the full $26,000 if he does not want to make any concessions. Generally the agreement with have a time period for the due diligence - inspections, etc. during that time if an issue is discovered, the buyer can chose to waive the deficiency... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Rhode Island on

Q: My husband and I are tenants in common. We have no will. What happens to his portion upon his death.

Husband dying of cancer. West Warwick town hall says I have no worries about the property. Please advise.

Andrew Bilodeau answered on Jun 2, 2019


I’m sorry that you are going through this difficult time with your husband.

I just need to know if your husband has any children and if any of his parents are alive.

This will determine what you receive. Thank you.


Andrew Bilodeau

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Rhode Island on

Q: Someone recorded without my knowledge a conversation we were having showing it to my manager can I pursue legal action?

The man recorded through secret video me and his conversation about another employee failing to perform his duties in which i used profane language and then sent it to my boss unprompted simply to hurt my chances of raise or promotion.

Thomas Briody answered on Jun 1, 2019

Rhode Island is a one party consent state. That means if one party consents to a recording, it’s legal. So the person who recorded you has not violated your rights. There may be some other behavior on his/her part that may give rise to a claim, but more information is needed.

You have...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law for Rhode Island on

Q: What are my rights as a dog owner against false complaints?

When I let my dog out at night 10:30-midnight and he barks my neighbors complain (two of them - who have "ganged" up on me). (One neighbor says he wakes up her son and he can't go back to sleep.) My dog may only bark for a few seconds before I bring him in. (I stand in the doorway to watch him do... Read more »

Neville Bedford answered on May 22, 2019

If upon affirmation in writing, signed by a resident of this town, and after investigation by the animal control officer or a police officer, that officer has cause to believe that an animal, whether licensed or not, is a habitual nuisance by reason of trespassing, howling, barking or making other... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law for Rhode Island on

Q: Any laws about dogs barking non-stop when owners aren't home but leave windows open so very loud for hours at a time

Neville Bedford answered on May 22, 2019

Check your local municipal code for your specific town. The ordinance are generally available online.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Rhode Island on

Q: Do you guys have a pro Bono divorce service if not do you know of any in the Narragansett or Wakefield county area?

Neville Bedford answered on May 22, 2019

Contact Volunteer Lawyer Program Coordinator, John Ellis at (401) 421-7758 or to see if you qualify for Pro Bono representation.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody for Rhode Island on

Q: What can a person do if they believe their case was lost due to judge and plaintiff having friendship prior to the case

Custodial loses placement after non-custodial makes false allegations which are proven unfounded by dcyf custodial fights case for a year judge does not listen to evidence judge does not allow for a hearing judge continues case constantly for over a year information has come forward that plaintiff... Read more »

Neville Bedford answered on May 22, 2019

Talk to your attorney if you are want to take an appeal from the judge's decision. If your attorney is not willing to represent you for the appeal, consult with another attorney soonest. There is a limited time to file an appeal.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation, Business Law, Civil Litigation and Trademark for Rhode Island on

Q: Is "Newport Wellness" registrable as a service mark? geographically descriptive + generic term for the services.

I don't think it is, but I'm looking for other opinions.

Per USPTO, Generic words cannot qualify as “marks” in the legal sense and are never registrable or enforceable against third parties. Because generic words are the common, everyday name for goods and services and everyone has the... Read more »

Neville Bedford answered on May 14, 2019

Speak with a trademark attorney. They will explain the impact of the disclaimer to the plain words, the limitation, of the category of trade for which one might register, and other options you may consider to give you more than "thin protection" . They will also explain the national/federal... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Civil Rights, Intellectual Property and Juvenile Law for Rhode Island on

Q: Can a family court in rhode island take away my phone when I'm 13 under the orders of a judge?


Neville Bedford answered on May 14, 2019

They are more likely to prohibit you from using it. Speak with your court attorney to have them press your best arguments against such an order.

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Rhode Island on

Q: Charged w/ 2nd off. driving while suspended but I never have been cited or charged w/ a 1st offense..what should I do?

I was cited for driving on a suspended license - 2nd offense after another driver side swiped me. I wasn’t aware my license was suspended, the accident occurred in June 2018 and RI says they suspended it back in April 2016 stemming from a FTA for a traffic ticket. I understand the suspension but... Read more »

Neville Bedford answered on May 14, 2019

Hire an attorney to muster your best defense and force the prosecution to produce their evidence.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Rhode Island on

Q: What can I do if a search & seizure warrant was returned 22 days after it was executed? In RI should be returned in 14.

Neville Bedford answered on May 14, 2019

Your attorney should be able to explain the impact of this

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Real Estate Law for Rhode Island on

Q: Bought home with big fenced yard for dogs, 5 minutes after closing found out 1/3 of the yard belongs to neighbor. Help.

Last Monday we bought a house in Rhode Island with a big fenced in yard for our dogs. As we were at the closing at the lawyers, the seller of the house told the next door neighbor that a portion (about 1/3) of our soon to be property actually belonged to her and was not part of his property at... Read more »

Andrew Bilodeau answered on May 7, 2019


There are many components to this That need to be examined before I would be able to give you a correct answer. If during the transaction you purchased title insurance and the owner signed an Affidavit swearing that there are no known encroachments, boundary disputes, etc. you may...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Rhode Island on

Q: what can i due if a tenant use there surcerity deposit as there last month rent and there was damage to the place

Andrew Bilodeau answered on May 6, 2019


You will need to provide notice to the tenant regarding the damage to the apartment/house with an itemization of the cost to repair and you can pursue those damages in a court action if they are in an amount to be worthwhile. I would also evaluate whether or not the former tenant has...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for Rhode Island on

Q: I applied for a small personal loan online at a local credit union. I was approved but never made it to the bank

to sign any paperwork or go through with anything. I missed the appointment because I had changed my mind. They still put the loan through with out me ever stepping foot in the bank and signing anything. She stated she will cancel the loan and it will take 3 months to come off my credit. I just... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on May 3, 2019

Wow. I do not ever recall being asked by any client how to handle a situation where a bank or credit funded a loan!

I cannot count the number of clients who wanted help trying to get a loan funded, not unfunded.

Answer: There is nothing "illegal" about this mistake, which no doubt...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Traffic Tickets for Rhode Island on

Q: On a residential road can a police officer give you a ticket for Reasonable and prudent speed?

Thomas Briody answered on Apr 15, 2019

Yes. The law requires you to keep reasonable and prudent speed all the time. Of course, whether you ultimately kept a reasonable speed is up to a judge. So while the officer can issue the citation, you can contest it.

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents for Rhode Island on

Q: As the owner of a vehicle that caused an accident while being driven by another insured adult, am I liable?

David Tapalian answered on Apr 10, 2019

Yes you could be. The owner as well as the operator could be found liable. Make sure you notify your insurance.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law for Rhode Island on

Q: Does she qualify to apply for citizenship ?

Married 5 years, in the United States 3 years. He just became citizen, making her here for 3 and now currently married to a US citizen. Since he just became a us citizen does she still have to wait for 5 years due to him not being a citizens when they married or can she apply after the 3 years of... Read more »

Deron Edward Smallcomb answered on Apr 5, 2019

You will still have to wait for 5 years as her Green Card was not obtained as a result of marrying a US Citizen.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Legal Malpractice for Rhode Island on

Q: is an attorney not allowed to practice law in RI, if the out of state parent company is an unlicensed debt collector

would this situation be arguable as unauthorized practice of law ?

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Apr 3, 2019

You will have to better explain all the facts because your question does not make sense as written.

But let me try: If you are trying to ask whether an out-of-state debt collector company must have a license to collect bad debts in Rhode Island, the probable answer is no.

If you...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Employment Law and Civil Rights for Rhode Island on

Q: 20 year Labor union member wrongfully terminated, rights were disregarded in Collective Bargaining agreement,

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Apr 1, 2019

Hire a good employment lawyer with expertise in labor union issues.

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption, Family Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Rhode Island on

Q: Which Rhode Island court do I petition to unseal documents related to my paternity?

I was born outside of marriage, and then my father signed an "affidavit of legitimation" after he married my mother. Per Rhode Island law, this document is sealed and Vital Records will only issue copies of it with a court order. I am applying for recognition of inherited Italian citizenship... Read more »

Neville Bedford answered on Mar 28, 2019

Dual citizenship is a special status and probably worth investing with an attorney to assist you. Your chances of success will be much better with a professional advocating on your behalf.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.