Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Identity Theft Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Collections, Identity Theft and Social Security for Nevada on
Q: Credit report account made but not by me?

So I go to credit karma to make acc. They tell me a acc already made with a email. And told me what email. My biological fathers. And so on. Apparently goes on it everyday? Why? My credit. I’m 25. I am mentally disable. Growing up. I guess as a aunt said. He used me for debt. Wells Fargo credit... Read more »

Susan Michele Schaefer
Susan Michele Schaefer answered on Aug 30, 2021

If someone has misused your Social Security number or other personal information to create credit or other problems for you, then you need to take action right away. Go to - it is a website managed by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) - and they will help you with a recovery... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Identity Theft for Texas on
Q: We can do a payment plan

This is in San Marcos not Houston

John Cucci Jr.
John Cucci Jr. answered on Aug 16, 2021

This question is vague, however, I can answer by saying most lawyers do have payment plans. The hard part is for the client to show they have good credit, and a way to make payments.

Good Luck!

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Identity Theft for Georgia on
Q: I have a warrent for identity theft If its my 2nd charge and I'm not on probation can i get a bond

If I pay the card ofd then turn myself in will it help

Nelson Craig Johnson
Nelson Craig Johnson answered on Aug 9, 2021

It will be up to the discretion of a judge if they permit bond. However, your alleged crime is not one that poses substantial risk of physical harm to others, so it is likely they would let you bond out, unless you have prior charges other than identity theft.

With regard to turning...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Identity Theft for Oklahoma on
Q: My wife opened credit cards In my name without my knowledge. I told her that I want a divorce. What can I do?

Is this considered identity theft?

Pete David Louden
Pete David Louden answered on Aug 7, 2021

If you want a divorce what you can do is hire an attorney to file a divorce action for you. Schedule a consultation to discuss your case in detail and learn your specific options.

Best of luck!

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Criminal Law, Banking and Identity Theft for Texas on
Q: My bank fraudulently approved another who stole $65,700 from my savings. They won’t return. Much more
Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace answered on Aug 6, 2021

Contact law enforcement if you believe a crime was committed. Contact a civil attorney if you want to file suit for return of the money.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Identity Theft for Georgia on
Q: Do you handle bank account fraud?

A friend of mine had a text from Zelle (aka Synovus Bank) regarding a suspicious transaction. They asked personal questions, in which he answered. Within 6 minutes they transfered over $7,000! He disputed it with the bank in which there turned down. He also reported it to the police with the name... Read more »

Sabrina A. Parker
Sabrina A. Parker answered on Aug 6, 2021

You should go to the bank directly and speak with the branch President and explain what happened and see if they can reverse the charges. If the number on your caller ID is a Synovus Bank number, they may be more inclined to investigate the matter and possibly reverse the charges.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Identity Theft, Small Claims and Collections for Texas on
Q: Small court debt claim. There’s a lawyer on record for plaintiff but another attorney contacted me. What to do?

The plaintiff (a collection agency) has a retained attorney on record the one who filed the lawsuit, but another attorney claiming to be from the same law firm sent me an email trying to settle outside court. Should I correspond with him considering he’s not the attorney on file? Can he do that?... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Aug 4, 2021

A Texas attorney could advise best, as collection practices can involve state law. However you await a response for two weeks. As a starting point, you could reach out to the first attorney to ascertain what is going on in terms of being contacted by more than one attorney. You ask how to proceed... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Immigration Law, Identity Theft and Social Security for New York on
Q: I seek assistance with sorting out identity issues (problems with birth certificate, social security due to name change)

I am assisting a young man (23yr old) who will graduate from college but who cannot proceed with things like drivers license, employment, etc, due to a troubled childhood situation in which his name was changed numerous times. The birth certificate (issued in New York City) has questionable... Read more »

Agnes Jury
Agnes Jury answered on Jul 19, 2021

This would be best handled by a civil litigation attorney as it sounds like it involves several name changes or may require one now. You may be able to get free help from legal aid clinics but if not you can always reach out to attorneys directly and ask if they would help for free. Best wishes!

2 Answers | Asked in Identity Theft and Landlord - Tenant for Florida on
Q: If tenant is crime victim from neighbors guest, does the criminal have to be arrested 4 constructive eviction?

I suffered the following crimes from a neighbors' guest, who has been living in the building: stalking, car burglarized, wire transfer fraud on my Citibank check, mailbox tampered, bank statements missing. Lease violation to have a guest more than 2 weeks. Guest was just released from prison... Read more »

Barry W. Kaufman
Barry W. Kaufman answered on Jul 13, 2021

You might be able to obtain an injunction against the criminal. His crimes have nothing to do with your landlord; constructive eviction is a cause of action between a tenant and the Landlord. You have no remedy to terminate your lease; you can leave at any time, but you will suffer negative... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Identity Theft for California on
Q: Can I be charged 4 months after my case reads not guilty on all charges?

On 11/30/2016 my file reads not guilty on 4 felony counts. But on 3/13/2017, 1 of the charges I'm forced to take a plea bargin is this legal?

Joseph Abrams
Joseph Abrams answered on Jul 12, 2021

You present very limited facts here to really know what is going on. But to the extent you were previously found not guilty on a criminal charge after a trial, you cannot again be prosecuted by the same court for the same charge; in other words, you cannot be subjected to "double... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Domestic Violence and Identity Theft for California on
Q: Can you check to see if i have a warrant in ventura county my boyfriend is attempting to get rid of me. For a reason.

I know something about him that he absolutely doesnt want told. So he has planned ling and hard to make me appear something i am not. He physically and mentally terrorizes me.

John Karas
John Karas answered on Jul 5, 2021

As Abraham Lincoln (who was an attorney before he became president) once said, "An attorney's stock in trade is his (or her) time". If you want an attorney to find out if there is an outstanding warrant for your arrest, hire a lawyer.

Otherwise, go on the Ventura County...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Identity Theft and Stockbroker Fraud on
Q: I have been scammed by

Good day,

I'm writing to complain about possible scam by toptrade group. I just realized that I have been scammed after I requested for withdraw of some of the profits I made during trading.

I have deposited in total amount $7,001.59 usd and after several tradings and... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jul 1, 2021

What you just did is called "locking the barn after the horses have been stolen."

As you found out, "Top Trade" is a well-known world-wide scam of the finest kind. The Good news is that you only lost your initial deposit of $7,000.

Standard advice for novice...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Identity Theft and Stockbroker Fraud for California on
Q: Who investigates false documents and fraud done to the deceased

Yeah because I have reason to believe that my father's name was changed my mother's name was changed and then they made everything look that way now people are benefiting from everything that's written on the story and then it appears that my father and my mother the identity was... Read more »

Joseph Abrams
Joseph Abrams answered on Jun 20, 2021

Most fraud offenses can be investigated by either local or federal authorities. If you have evidence of a criminal fraud or identity theft, you can begin by reporting that evidence to either your local police department of FBI field office.

- Law Office of Joseph Abrams, Anaheim, CA

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Identity Theft for California on
Q: Me and my girl are out bail . We are both being charged with handgun that was not in neither one of us possession.

The people that said I had gun have there stories mixed up. Now I think DA wants to get me with being ex felon charges. Can I qualify for probation . Or ankle monitor.

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Jun 16, 2021



Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Products Liability, Identity Theft, Intellectual Property and Small Claims for Nevada on
Q: Social Security Administration lost my passports when sending us back through USPS without insurance. Possible to claim?

I applied for my 3-yr old daughter's social security number for her health insurance. Because of Covid, SSA required us to submit the original copies of her and my passports at their office. Once my daughter was approved of the SSN, the SSA office sent us back the passports through uninsured... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jun 11, 2021

You should make a report to the post office. Take your copy of that report and make a claim to Social Security. They may want to you reapply for your daughter's passport so they have the copy of the bills. They say no, talk to your congressperson & Senators--each has a staff member to... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft for Michigan on
Q: In Michigan life estate deeded home laws. I am the son in 2016 I bought mom and dads house with cash no mortgage needed

Or wanted and I deeded back to them immediately with life estate deeded &recorded. Now in 2018 my bank claims they put a $945,000 future advance mortgage on their home thru me without their signature or consent. The attorney I had did not name my daughter as remainderman listed no one except me... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Jun 7, 2021

Lot going on here...are you saying that a mortgage was processed without signatures? You may need to contact the title company to help figure out what's going on.

3 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law, Identity Theft, Trademark and Wrongful Death for West Virginia on
Q: Echo Red was my Favorite shoes ever they was the best quality and clothing is timeless how would someone get the brand?

Trademark and holding information I’d like to really revive this brand. I heard they went bankrupt or the revenue didn’t compensate for the money spent. But no wonder everything I ever seen is top quality.

Bill Hulsey
Bill Hulsey answered on Jun 6, 2021

Check USPTO TESS data base. It includes dead trademarks. There are other sources, too.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft, Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Kentucky on
Q: Hey I wanted to know what do I need to prove someone stole someone credit card Info and used it online to make purchase

We reviewed the footage and we have video of him putting his phone on the counter next to the computer and waving the cards over it is that enough proof?

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on May 29, 2021

Should be, especially if he left with the merchandise and you have the coinciding register receipts for the transaction.

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft, Internet Law and Intellectual Property for Texas on
Q: A woman stealed a photo of me and my exgirlfriend and she uses it as a profile photo in social media. I’m married?

A woman stealed a photo of me and my exgirlfriend and she uses it as a profile photo in social media to say that I’m dating her while this is a lie. In the photo I’m kissing my ex girlfriend but only my face can be seen while my ex girlfriend face is hidden. She only uses that photo. I’m... Read more »

Randy Sorrels
Randy Sorrels answered on Jun 5, 2021

If she has put you in a false light by using this photo, then you may have a claim against her. You should first ask her to remove the photo immediately (in writing) though as an alternative to filing a lawsuit.

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft and Small Claims for Kentucky on
Q: My older brother keeps using my card on his XBox for $15.89. Can I press charges?

I used it once and told him to take my card off his system, I got a notification a few days ago that it tried to go through again and told him AGAIN to take it off. Now it has went through AGAIN and he's mocking me that there's nothing I can do.

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on May 9, 2021

Cancel the card and get a new one.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.