Ask a Lawyer

Ask a Lawyer allows you to get free answers from lawyers in your area for basic legal questions on a variety of topics, including family law, employment law, criminal law, and more.
Add details
More Information:
Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Recent Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for Ohio on

Q: I recently separated from my wife and she is keeping our daughter from me, can i motion for custody before filing divor

Joseph Jaap answered on Sep 16, 2019

You have to file for divorce to ask for custody. When you file for divorce, you can ask for temporary custody. Your wife can file to oppose that, and the court will hold a hearing to decide how to divide the parenting while the divorce proceeds. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local family... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Ohio on

Q: Three years ago I removed a tree that was 85-90% on my property. My neighbor is now requesting compensation for 100% ($

7740) based on an online tree value calculator. What is my legal obligation?

Joseph Jaap answered on Sep 16, 2019

Maybe 10-15% of the value if a court deems you liable. Neighbor could sue you in small claims court. The court would decide if you have liability, based on the condition of the tree, any danger it posed, etc.

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright for Ohio on

Q: This question is based around a project I’m doing that is of a copyrighted IP.

I’m currently making a fan project that is completely non profit. I want to know if I would get sued or not.

Marcos Garciaacosta answered on Sep 16, 2019

You can get sued.

Whether you will or not will depend on the company.

A lot of fan projects are left alone because of the potential for negative publicity, but that does not mean they do not have the right to do it.

Consult with a branding and intellectual property attorney...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Trademark for Tennessee on

Q: The word Heathen is the name of a religion and set of beliefs. How did someone get granted a trademark on it?

A friend of mine and some others have had their products pulled from their online stores because of trademark on the word Heathen. Heathen is the name of a religion and spiritual practice followed and used by countless people and religious organizations around the world. How could someone have been... Read more »

Marcos Garciaacosta answered on Sep 16, 2019

Any word can be registered for trademark purposes, as long as it meets with certain requirements.

Just because it is a common name it does not mean that it can not be registered.

sorry for what is happening to your friends.

always consult with a branding attorney before...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Business Law and Civil Litigation for South Carolina on

Q: My dad passed away and my uncle took everything! They were in construction and property management. No will was found!

Do I have any options? I lost access to bank account and apartment! This was sudden and unexpected!

Tim Akpinar answered on Sep 16, 2019

I'm sorry for your loss. A probate attorney would be in the best position to assess the situation. You could contact one of the attorneys on this site, contact an attorney on your own, or repost with the categories Probate/Estate Planning added. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.