Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation and Family Law for North Carolina on
Q: my grandmother passed away and left my family a house. my mother changed anything out of my grandmas name and recently

got locked up and is still in jail. She also owes taxes on the house. How can i take ownership of my grandmas house?

She hadn’t changed anything out my grandmas name. And i want to pay the taxes or whatever i have to do to get this house and fix it.

0 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law for Maryland on
Q: Hello

Hey I have question, about year ago we made an offer on a house it was listed 80k and we made offer of 90k and Realestate agent told us someone offered 95k and their offer was accepted it was sealed offers, and we could not buy it, I just came across with that house again it says sold for 80 on... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for California on
Q: The apartment complex we just moved from has not returned our security deposit.

We have gotten the itemized list where we were told we’d be getting $1549 back. They sent the check then they voided it right before it arrived because “the wrong amount was sent”. When we got the check in the mail it was for the correct amount. We were told the new check would be delivered... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Uncategorized for Florida on
Q: We have been married 32 years and currently live in an assisted living facility.

My wife's children seem to feel they have the last say as to where we live. My wife has Parkinson’s and dementia and for the most part is bed ridden. Although we live is assisted living “I” am the one who takes care of her. We both agreed long ago that neither she nor I wanted to enter a... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law for Florida on
Q: You My husband died and I need to know what's going to happen with my house, am I going to lose it? Who has to pay now?
Barbara Billiot Stage
Barbara Billiot Stage answered on Sep 18, 2021

You do not provide enough facts for a lawyer to give you adequate advice. Generally, if the property has a mortgage you have to pay the mortgage to avoid it being foreclosed on by the lender.

View More Answers

0 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law for Texas on
Q: Do I have to check a box for a survey in Paragraph 6C of the One-To-Four Family Residential Contract (Resale) in Texas?

We have a cash buyer who wants to put an offer in, and we know the title company doesn't require a survey, yet the paragraph reads in part (Check one box only). Is that required?

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Louisiana on
Q: Filing for child support against child’s father. Never married.

Never married. Child’s father lives in different state. Does not help financially so I’m filing for child support. If I file will he have visitation rights in his state? He’s the non custodial parent , will I have to file for full custody of our child even considering he barely sees the child... Read more »

Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux answered on Sep 18, 2021

You need to file for both child support and custody.

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI for Colorado on
Q: Do I need to tell my employer that I have a DUI?

My contract says that I need to report felony’s and misdemeanors (not including misdemeanors traffic offenses)

Joseph Carter Maher
Joseph Carter Maher answered on Sep 18, 2021

A DUI is considered an “unclassified misdemeanor” in Colorado. DUI offenses in Colorado are not traffic misdemeanor one or two offenses. You should hire an attorney to review your contract closely, and provide a thorough answer. Let’s go

0 Answers | Asked in Tax Law for New York on
Q: Can a nonprofit school in NYC use an ITC tax deduction from installing solar to pay fewer employment taxes?

My school is a nonprofit in NYC that does not pay federal/state income tax, but they do pay employer taxes. If we install solar on campus, can we use the solar tax credit for employment taxes?

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Elder Law and Wrongful Death for Louisiana on
Q: I am trying to talk to the police or detective about a crime that was committed by a aide who neglected my mother

My mother created this bad bed so red that put her in the hospital 2 times and my mother passed away based upon that bed sore the cause of death was that bed score the aide was stealing my mother money food stamps and stealing my mother pills and selling them my mother was 73 years old this aide... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Banking and Contracts for Alabama on
Q: Can I finance a car in alabama when I turn 18, my parents aren't willing to do anything for me.

My mom basically said if I go to college in the spring I can't take my car with me

0 Answers | Asked in Uncategorized for Ohio on
Q: I created a video for a non profit organization and thought the song with free

i created a video for a client that is a non-profit. She had a limited budget and I was searching online for a song to use in the background of her video. I found a site that was for music for nonprofits. It allowed me to download the song but I did not know that it was not free. The video as been... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Uncategorized for California on
Q: My solar company went bankrupt. My system was installed wrong snd it does not work. Never worked. Empire Solar

Loan company says I have to continue to pay for something that was never finished. I was promised 5k for purchasing system by the sales company who say they won’t pay because they didn’t get paid by Empire Solar. I’m sure there are others in same boat. I’d like to sue or do a clas action on... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Contracts and Real Estate Law for Texas on
Q: Will we need legal help?

The owner of the house we just signed a lease/paid deposit for was working with a property management company but has fired them for his own reasons. They still have the property listed for rent, the lockbox hasn't been removed, and we want to make sure we're covered. We have a lease... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Uncategorized on
Q: My husband took a pre employment drug screen (urine) and it came back positive for cocaine. HE DOES NOT DO DRUGS.

He attempted to contact lab to request another test but could not get an answer. He is driver with CDL. The company he was applying with reported to Motor safety and now CDL is suspended. Drug screen taken last Friday in FL. He is screwed. What can we do

0 Answers | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Kansas on
Q: What is the punishment for speeding with no license in Kansas?

First offense, no arrest was made at the time of being pulled over, just cited a court date.

0 Answers | Asked in Employment Law for Texas on
Q: May a private business in TX have 2+ workers in same job, 1 salaried & others hourly if salaried pay based on hrly rate?

This is not regarding a dispute. Bcse of a learning difference, I want to apply for this hourly job but would do much better if it were salaried so I can have more time especially during the first several months. I’d be perfectly fine if the salaried pay was based on the stated hourly rate. Per... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Divorce for California on
Q: How is home property divided if the spouse was the one making all the mortgage payments?

My spouse was the one handling the mortgage payments given that she made more than me. We got the house while being married but her name is on the title and mortgage. I supported her not necessarily by financial means but more as taking care of the house: once moved in I took care of handling home... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.