Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Family Law for Michigan on
Q: My spouse died in Indiana in Feb 2022. I just found out. We have not lived together for 10+ years but never divorced.

I LIVE IN Michigan. What am I entitled to?

0 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law for Oregon on
Q: Should I make mortgage payment to lender that I believe has committed fraudulent actions?

I have been dealing with trying to modify my note since the end of my forbearance 9-28-21, due to covid. They continually send me wrong docs to sign and date, then tell me I'm sending them wrong docs. I am not US Bank and have no control of what they send me. It's been the most... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Uncategorized on
Q: Do I have legal grounds to sue my ex girlfriend over finacial and emotional damage?

Together for 2 and half years, I came home from work 2 weeks ago to her gone and half of our stuff gone, She dipped out on our lease, had been lyeing to me for months about where all the money i had been sending her to go into the savings account for us to buy a house. Now im stuck with paying... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Child Custody for Texas on
Q: My sons dad disappeared in December on another bender, my phone number changed, what’s my responsibility here?

I have a ten yr, his dad has been in and out of his life. He’s a heroin addict, he’s had a few good runs of a yr or 2 but he disappears for 3-9 mo stretches. In and out of jail (even robbed a pharmacy), rehab, mental institutions, etc. We do have an expired set of temp orders with fairly... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Louisiana on
Q: If my child was caught with vape pens at school and told them and police I gave them to her to sell, what should I do?

I don’t have any prior record, I didn’t give them to her to sell but I did give them to her. I got a court date to plea for contributing to the delinquency of a minor misdemeanour. They’ve offered me a deal but it includes community service and I already do a whole crap load of community... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Small Claims for Georgia on
Q: Can I sue my uncle for the money on a car that I was paying for that he's now trying to take back?

My uncle called me June of last year and asked if I would like to take up payments on a car that he had with no down payment and all I had to do was pay the upcoming car note which he told me was $300. He also said that the insurance on the car was $150. Well, I've paid on the car & the... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Oklahoma on
Q: Can a police officer ticket you for driving too fast for the conditions if they have no idea of your speed?

My friend was recently in a one car accident on an interstate in Oklahoma. It was raining and windy so she was in the right lane at reduced speed. Eventually she got behind a semi truck and couldn't see from all the spray it was flinging, so she went to pass. When she was halfway through the... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Education Law for Colorado on
Q: 12-11-20 I was issued an Exclusionary No Trespass Order. No other details or procedural due process. What can I do now?

President of CSU-Pueblo "I have been informed that you have made threats to the safety and security of persons on the Colorado State University-Pueblo campus...This matter is under investigation by the Pueblo County Sheriff's Office. This letter is to notify you that you are immediately... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Florida on
Q: Partition Lawsuit: I e-recorded a new quit claim deed 3 days ago. Can I cancel the closing sales scheduled for Monday?

I am in a partition lawsuit and closing sales are scheduled for Monday. I electronically recorded a resignation claim deed 3 days ago that I had received in 2013. Now I'm alone in the title. Can I cancel the sale of the house scheduled for Monday? Miami- Fl

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
answered on May 26, 2022

It depends on several things, including the timing of the partition lawsuit. As I understand it, you were given a quitclaim deed to the property in 2013 which you just recorded. You recently have agreed to sell the property to someone else.

You had better ask the buyer whether you can...
Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Oklahoma on
Q: How do I fix a mistake the county made in 1995 that I didn’t know about till recently? Concerning a aggr.mis. Vs felony

How can I fix this so it stops showing that I have a class d felony for a charge, I plead down to and was convicted of, that is a aggr misdemeanor?

0 Answers | Asked in Employment Law for Virginia on
Q: The company I work for paid for me to move for a new position in another state with relocation payback if I leave.

After 3 months the job I moved for was gone and I was transferred to another position in that office. The pay is the same, but the job title and work are slightly different. Am I still bound by the relocation contract considering the position I moved for is gone?

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law, Child Support and Insurance Defense for Florida on
Q: I am a Florida resident and my ex husband/ childrens father devastatingly passed away in April. I am the beneficiary &

Our son is secondary beneficiary. I heard I will get denied bc in Florida the divorce immediately deleted you as beneficiary. He wanted to keep this policy to ensure security for the kids if he passed.

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
answered on May 26, 2022

I am unaware of any statutory provision cancelling your right to be the beneficiary of his life insurance on account of your divorce. Go ahead and apply for the life insurance proceeds. If the insurance company is aware of such a provision, your son will of course get paid instead. If he is a... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Louisiana on
Q: What to do if someone used my name during traffic stop, and I now have a warrant for my arrest?

The warrant is 13 years old. Around this time I was not driving at all for any reason. I recently learned to driving within the last 5 years.

0 Answers | Asked in Copyright, Intellectual Property and Trademark on
Q: In 2017 I went to Palestine, Bethlehem, where I bought original art at an art gallery that made quite a name for itself

(worldwide). The art came incl. certificate of authenticity. After 5 years, I decided I wanted to part with my art and listed it on eBay.

On eBay, my listings got taken down due to ''trademark infringement'' (art gallery's name). I contacted the gallery and they... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in International Law on
Q: I am an international student with valid us visa. I want to move to canada. Will my college credits transfer? Visa?

If my college credits transfer, what will be my visa procedures?

0 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law for New York on
Q: Dad died 1989, will filled in 1994 by ex, county sold for back taxes. Do I have any recourse?

86.00-253 land, deed is attached to land

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.